Speckled Sussex gender

NursexNikki

Chirping
Jul 23, 2020
I’m pretty sure our Speckled Sussex “Speckle” that we were told was a female as a chick is actually a rooster. Large comb and waffles and looks like saddle feathers to me. He is around 18 weeks...would you all agree?
8A135722-7268-471C-A841-BA34DF7B8F62.png

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

I cannot make out what is going on with that head.. but agree it looks like cockerel saddle feathers MIGHT be showing..
1595523603235.png

Sexing is not 100% accurate. 85-95% depending on which hatchery they came from. Some hatcheries will refund your money for the mis-gendered chick if purchased directly from them but you still have to do something with the bird. Looks like a scrawny cockerel for 18 weeks. I would like to see a better photo if possible. And for informational purposes boys don't earn their rooster badge until a year old. Before that technically pullet and cockerel, but it's most important when discussing maters like health and behavior. At home in every day conversation we still say roo. :pop

Large comb and waffles

No wonder I couldn't make out the head.. I never seen a chicken with waffles before! :lau

Lol, auto correct? Gotta love it! :p

ETA: Age I've seen boys start crowing varies widely. From as early as 3 weeks for myself to as late as 18 months for my friend. Most hens that crow will NOT start at pullet age. :)

No wonder I couldn't make out the head.. I never seen a chicken with waffles before! :lau

Lol, auto correct? Gotta love it! :p

ETA: Age I've seen boys start crowing varies widely. From as early as 3 weeks for myself to as late as 18 months for my friend. Most hens that crow will NOT start at pullet age. :)
Lol gotta love auto correct 😂🤦‍♀️ I’ll try to get a better picture

Back
Top Bottom