Speckled Sussex Laying Age...When Will Nelda Give Me That First Egg?

HI,

Mine were hatched 4/14. Of 4 I have 1 started at 20 weeks, 1 started about 24 weeks and 2 who are 28 weeks and aren't laying at all yet. I get about 7 - 8 small eggs a week. Way smaller than I expected but hopeful they will get bigger. I look back at the pic I posted above and she has matured alot in appearance since then.

I've had several occassions for "poop board" eggs with no shell and thought for sure more would start laying but nope. Squatting seems to happen far sooner than a couple weeks before they start laying.

The slowest one to develop came up sick last week and she's not recovering. I wonder if her illness is why she is the slowest to mature. She was #3 but dropped to the slowest.

There doesn't seem to be much consistancy in the pattern!
idunno.gif

Mine came from Meyer's thru My Pet Chicken.

Last edited:
I have two speckled sussex same age. 23 weeks old. One has been laying for almost two weeks now the other one is not laying yet and her face and comb are not real red yet either even though she is the biggest of the two she is just a late bloomer I guess. I also had three Rhode Islands, I now have two (butchered one for eating eggs and raiding the nests) The two REDS I have left are the same age as the sussex and very red faced and combs but still no eggs .. I guess they will all get there eventually .. LOL If not the stew pot is waiting.
t

Back
Top Bottom