Speckled Sussex not laying. Any ideas?

Euphman06

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2020
Eastern PA
They were hatched May 4th and I know I'm battling shorter/colder days. 2 of them look further along than my other two, in terms of comb size and color but I'm seeing no signs of them wanting to start laying (no squatting that I can tell). They have an 11x4 run that is mulched and I do leave them free range plenty unless they get naugthy and run into my neighbors evergreens lol. Perhaps they are just slow to mature and I'm impatient. Any ideas? Do I need to add grit? I tried giving them extra grit but they really didn't do much with it. I figured they must be getting enough when they are free ranging, but maybe I'm wrong. Thanks!

So for our hens they are laying less since they are cold and don’t have enough energy, and there are periods of time when they just stop laying, I don’t think it’s too serious, are they acting normal?

Could you attach pictures of the pullets? Are their combs getting red? A red comb is a sign they will start laying soon.
Some later born chicks won't start laying until the next spring.

They are red but not a deep red. They've explored the nesting boxes and I have some fake eggs in there. I don't think they are acting abnormal (never had chickens before). They pretty much act like birds to me:) I do notice sometimes I see runny poop rather than the solid stuff.

I figured I'm just being impatient, it's almost as exciting as waiting for your own child to be born (don't tell me wife, lol). Hopefully soon!
I compare it to Christmas or a Birthday Present. You really really want the day to come ASAP and you just can't sleep because you are so excited!!

Any ideas? Do I need to add grit? I tried giving them extra grit but they really didn't do much with it.
By 'grit' do you mean crushed Oyster Shells....or digestive granite grit?
What all and how exactly are you feeding them?
Pullets coming of age in the shortening days of fall can take a bit longer to commence laying.

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @Euphman06
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1603719945759.png

Back
Top Bottom