Speckled Sussex Page!

yoker

Songster
11 Years
Jul 7, 2008
Here is a page that people can post pics,info,?,... about SS.

I have a pair of SS.
This year I hatched one chick, don't know if it is a girl or a boy.
Can't post pics computer is to slow.

I have 6 hens but I can't take their pictures now they are in full molt. Can you say bald. They are very quiet birds and seem to go broody more than the EE's do.

IMG006.jpg

IMG005.jpg

These were taken in late Summer. They are not looking very good since they are moulting.

I don't have any SS yet; they are on my list for next spring as I think they are absolutely beautiful birds and I have read so many good reviews of their personalities. ginasmarans- yours are lovely even tho moulting; can't wait to get mine!

I hatched my first Speckled Sussex late last winter and they have quickly become one of my favorite breeds. They are almost too friendly and I can't count the times I've about stepped on them because they won't get out of my way!! I'm pretty sure some of mine have too much white on them, but I still like them.
38422284.jpg
68993b4b.jpg
440d36a7.jpg

I think speckled Sussex are some of the most beautiful birds around. Then again, if you take a look at my sig line you'll see I'm an absolute sucker for the speckled/spangled/mille fleur/Jubilee family of feather patterns.
smile.png

I have three pullets right now. They are calm, inquisitive birds, slowly starting to get their speckles and losing the excess white on their chests. You can see them at 7 weeks old, here:

http://www.doberinfo.com/chickenpics/Sussex--09-30-08/sussex--09-30-08.html

I love my SS's except that they are eating me out of house and home! lol But they are really sweet and friendly. I will take some pictures if i can.

This breed is absolutely on my 'must have' list. Not only are they beautiful, but good layers also - so I hear. Any thoughts on this, how are they as layers? I plan on ordering 5 soon. I also want Americanas(sp?), but will have to wait until next year for those. I suspect they will mix well with my Australorp hens. Any other advice or suggestions for someone new to this breed?

Back
Top Bottom