Speckled Sussex Pullet or Cockerel?

Merritt Island BYC

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2023
Hi there,
I’m new to chickens but I have been breeding & raising quail for quite some time.

I adopted an established but elderly flock about a year ago. I received backlash from a neighbor about my rooster and had to rehome him.
As some of my older hens passed away I decided to start from chick.
I’m already so attached to my new chicks and I’ll be heart broken if I have to rehome one.
I have yet to hear any crowing from any of my “pullets” but I do have (in separate coops than my chickens) Quail Roosters. I wasn’t sure if the quail crow would deter a cockerel from crowing.

The pullet in question is a Speckled Sussex
I purchased her from a local County Facebook page on April 11th, 2023 (just over 11 weeks ago). I wasn't sure how old she was when I got her but she was already off the heat.

Please see attached photos for reference

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• IMG_8184.jpeg
    IMG_8184.jpeg
    377.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_8183.jpeg
    IMG_8183.jpeg
    431.5 KB · Views: 21
Hi there,
I’m new to chickens but I have been breeding & raising quail for quite some time.

I adopted an established but elderly flock about a year ago. I received backlash from a neighbor about my rooster and had to rehome him.
As some of my older hens passed away I decided to start from chick.
I’m already so attached to my new chicks and I’ll be heart broken if I have to rehome one.
I have yet to hear any crowing from any of my “pullets” but I do have (in separate coops than my chickens) Quail Roosters. I wasn’t sure if the quail crow would deter a cockerel from crowing.

The pullet in question is a Speckled Sussex
I purchased her from a local County Facebook page on April 11th, 2023 (just over 11 weeks ago). I wasn't sure how old she was when I got her but she was already off the heat.

Please see attached photos for reference

Thank you in advance
Shes beautiful

Please keep her safe. There's nothing worse than having your favorite ( or any) fall prey to predators.
Oh absolutely!!!
My backyard is heavily landscaped with trees (banana trees etc) and low to the ground bushes that they forage/hide in. Plus I do not let them free range unsupervised
My husband spends a lot of time with them but they prefer me do if I go inside they’ll try to follow 🥹

Back
Top Bottom