speckled sussex rhode island red cross

That's really interesting! Apparently the red color is dominant. The crossed roo I have is also red but is young and doesn't have his adult feathers yet.

Last edited:

They seemed to keep it for sure. It's hard to see on the hen but there are a good few of the speckles on her head. I don't remember with the roosters since I gave them away. My main profile picture on here is what they looked like as chicks.

They are by far my best laying hens at about 5-6 eggs per week when not in the molting season. There is of course the hybrid vigor factor, but they still do pretty well. They are also pretty tame birds. The eggs (at least with mine) are a darker brown with some dark spots here and there, so they're pretty cool.

In case anyone is curious what the chicks look like, my picture on here is a mix of the 6 I originally hatched. 4 of the six were roosters and two were hens. you may also notice so that no one gets confused that there is a baby mallard in the picture as well.

If a Rhode Island Red rooster is crossed with other red (gold) breeds of chickens with white legs the chicks can be sexlinked by the leg color. In fact as long as the rooster leg color is recessive to the hen leg color the chicks can be sexlinked even when the down is the same color.

If a Rhode Island Red rooster is crossed with other red (gold) breeds of chickens with white legs the chicks can be sexlinked by the leg color. In fact as long as the rooster leg color is recessive to the hen leg color the chicks can be sexlinked even when the down is the same color.
does this mean that if you cross an RIR Roo with an SS hen that the male chicks will have the yellow (recessive) leg color of its father, and the female chicks will have white legs?

I actually had the same cross breed about 5 weeks ago; however, mine were all the same color and did not appear to be sex-linked. At the age they are at now I have been able to positively identify 3 out of 6 chicks as roosters, but I'm pretty sure at least two of the remaining 3 are hens. I was curious what ended up happening with this situation though since I have not found anything else online of the same cross.
ive had crosses like this and the offspring have looked mostly like the RIR hen, with white legs. I had trouble distinguishing RIR chicks (except for leg color) from SS chicks unless I could make a side by side comparison.

Coop410silkies,

The cockerel will have white legs like speckled sussex mom, the pullets will have yellow legs like their rhode island red sire.

Back
Top Bottom