speckled sussex rhode island red cross

pupchick

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 10, 2013
Syracuse N.Y. area
I hatched some speckled sussex rhode island red crossed chickens and I was wondering what they would look like when they grow up? Does anyone have any?
hu.gif
Thank you, Breanna

In case anyone is curious what the chicks look like, my picture on here is a mix of the 6 I originally hatched. 4 of the six were roosters and two were hens. you may also notice so that no one gets confused that there is a baby mallard in the picture as well.

If a Rhode Island Red rooster is crossed with other red (gold) breeds of chickens with white legs the chicks can be sexlinked by the leg color. In fact as long as the rooster leg color is recessive to the hen leg color the chicks can be sexlinked even when the down is the same color.

Wow! Are they sex link? I'm shocked they look so different! Thanks so much for sharing. We have about 2 weeks left to go til hatch and only one under our broody (from the RIR that lays huge eggs) so hoping for the best!

I actually had the same cross breed about 5 weeks ago; however, mine were all the same color and did not appear to be sex-linked. At the age they are at now I have been able to positively identify 3 out of 6 chicks as roosters, but I'm pretty sure at least two of the remaining 3 are hens. I was curious what ended up happening with this situation though since I have not found anything else online of the same cross.

Back
Top Bottom