Speckled Sussex X Buff Orpington

Godiva

Crowing
16 Years
May 17, 2007
Colorado
Has anyone else tried crossing the BO and Speckled S? If so what did you think? I have two and they are really the most vibrant full of life chicks out of my little crew of babies. All 6 are doing great but the "Sussingtons" are just a notch or three above the others in vitality. What colour will they turn out? I don't know enough about the genetics to figure out the possibilities. Their colour seems more muted than the purebreds...

I am having so much fun watching all these littlelys.
jumpy.gif

D.gif

OK, I guess there isn't anyone out there who has this cross. Next question is what are the genetic possibilities when you cross a light coloured roo with dark hens. And if you have a dark roo with light hens? I am just barely beginning to try and get a little handle on the gene thing and what gets passed on by the roo and what by the hen....
th.gif
My brain isn't quite getting it - anyone else who is more familiar with how the breeding and gene stuff works?

I would love to see what that mix looks like. I have a Speckled Sussex and she is the most verbal of all my chickens. And I love Orpingtons, I bet they will be interesting looking!

I bet Scout would object! Nelda is getting to be quite a large-bodied girl, although very short-legged. She probably could handle Suede since she is as wide as either of the Brahma girls he's with now. There's the little issue of her not having begun to lay yet and she's 26 weeks old now. I myself am wondering about an Ameraucana/Speckled Sussex cross-someone told me they'd be black birds (Scout is black) with red in the hackle areas.

OK, I guess there isn't anyone out there who has this cross. Next question is what are the genetic possibilities when you cross a light coloured roo with dark hens. And if you have a dark roo with light hens? I am just barely beginning to try and get a little handle on the gene thing and what gets passed on by the roo and what by the hen....
th.gif
My brain isn't quite getting it - anyone else who is more familiar with how the breeding and gene stuff works?
Hi! Any chance you have pics of this cross now? We have a SS roo and 4 BO hens. Would love to see what that cross looks like and what your thoughts are on it.

Thanks!

This is an old thread but I'd like to bring it back up. Does anyone have this cross? I'd love to see them. I have two eggs under a broody right now from a Buff Orpington rooster x Speckled Sussex hen.

smile.png

Same here!!

I know this is a realllly old thread by now but just wondering if anyone ever had any luck with that cross?? Any advice? Pictures??

I've got a sweet, beautiful, gentle speckled Sussex roo and several sweet, beautiful hens that I've been contemplating trying to possible get a few chicks from some day including another SS and a couple of buffs.

thx

Back
Top Bottom