Speckled Sussex

By the standard, not a SS with yellow legs.

Who did you buy from?

I didn't want to go SR again, and there's no source for sexed Speckled Sussex bantams, so I went with Dominiques. I ordered 5 females, received 6 chicks, and 2 are apparently males. So I have two more cockerels to get rid of.
:he
One of the other chicks I got from them is supposed to be a Cuckoo Marans, which is also supposed to have white legs. It is absolutely twinsies with my barred rock, legs and all. They both have yellow legs with black striping on them

Last edited:
One of the other chicks I got from them is supposed to be a Cuckoo Maran, which is also supposed to have white legs. It is absolutely twinsies with my barred rock, legs and all. They both have yellow legs with black striping on them
I'd request a refund. Hatchery chicks don't have to be show quality (most aren't), but should at least follow the standard for leg and skin coloring.

I'd request a refund. Hatchery chicks don't have to be show quality (most aren't), but should at least follow the standard for leg and skin coloring.
I will. I already contacted them about my other cockerel, they told me suspicious but I had to wait until the saddle and hackle feathers come in. So I'll get good pics of all 3 of them at that time.

So the consensus is that this is not a pullet and is also not a Speckled Sussex? 😐

I really want to know what was going on when they packed these ones up. My first order was perfect. Except one was out of stock and one died. Since I was short, I placed an order for 3 more. 1 of which appears to be a cockerel, 1 which I'm almost positive is the wrong breed and 1 that is a cockerel AND the wrong breed....
In my opinion the "Speckled Sussex" is a Welsummer cockerel. The bird that is a Welsummer, looks like a pullet.

@Amer - what say you on breed?

Someone just shared photos of prize-winning Speckled Sussex...oh my, WOW!

Look at how the speckles line up. :love
Jack Sussex.jpg

20210112_231741.jpg

I will admit this is my first time and I know nothing but my order was wrong as well :( I ended up with 4/15 roosters. 3 are the wrong breed LOL anyways given what has been going on and a lot more people are backyard chickening maybe they are trying to push maximum orders and aren’t fully checking vents correctly or something. Idk I’m sorry good luck !!
What hatchery did they come from?

Back
Top Bottom