Speckledhen **Beading is DONE Pg 39**

Quote:
ah glad you asked. The thread was actually sinew from the legs of deer, elk, buffalo and so forth. Needles were made of bone. I have an entire set of fish bone needles...they work pretty good to. The holes were put in using rocks and other pieces of bone as a chisel type efffect...most had elongated eyes.

Originally, beadwork was not done but quillwork was. The quills of the porcupine were dyed with natural dyes, flattened and weaved and sewn on to the clothing. Then the glass beads were brought in by traders and the beading began...the beads were much larger then too and most often were a 8mm or pony sized. The seed beads came in much much later.

Last edited:
Okay, here is the progress as of this morning after dealing with the dog issue. *sigh*

He is coming along, I got the two tail feathers done and have started down the breast area and that is a BIG area...man that boy is wide. hehehehehe

Suede525092.jpg

I bet the Indians worked hard on their crafts. I often wondered how they put holes in beads but now you explained it, its clear to me it would take a very skilled craftman to do so.

I know the Indians always love to trade their beads for white man's tools. Without them, we would not learned much or survive in the woods if we needed food and shelter.

It's looking so beautiful, Ladyhawk!! I had to pick up Suede today after we decided we should worm the entire flock. He's just the easiest boy to handle, once you convince him that he's gonna be picked up, no matter what. I rarely get to pet him close up, though. It's not easy to pick up that huge beach ball made of lead!

BTW, I'm so happy that your little dog with the big attitude wasn't hurt this morning.

Thank you all.

Cyn, I would love to try to wrestle that big boy up into my lap. teeeheee I have already decided that when I stroll through GA the next time and come visit, I am just gonna sit down in his coop or his run and haul him into my lap. He is just to awesome to try to pick up and the both of us end up tumbling down your hill. hahahahaha

I am glad that stupid little thing is okay too. If he has nine lives he only has a few left. Stupid dog but I love him.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom