Speckledhen **Beading is DONE Pg 39**

Quote:
Thank you.

Ah yes there was a story/meaning behind the design.

The reason I chose to make a shield of sorts was because of the symbolic nature of the circle and Suede being a beloved pet. Also the shield is symbol of protection. So, my belief that our pets pass and crossover to wait for us in the afterlife or are reborn to come to us again in this lifetime, is represented. Suede was born to his life with Cyn, he will pass before her and crossover...she will see him again, maybe several times more in this lifetime as his spirit is reborn into another pet to live with her through her days...when she crosses over they shall be together again.

The 7 knots are very symbolic for me as the number is very sacred to my people. There are 7 clans of the Cherokee, 7 sacred ceremonies and 7 directions honored.

The Clans:

Aniwahya - 'Wolf' Clan
Anikawi - 'Deer' Clan
Ani Tsiskwa - "Bird" or "Small Bird' Clan
Anigilohi - 'Long Hair' Clan
Anisahoni - 'Blue' Clan
Anigatogewi - 'Wild Potato' Clan
Aniwodi - 'Paint' Clan sometimes called 'Red Paint Clan'

There ceremonies:

The First New Moon of Spring Ceremony
The Green Corn Ceremony - held in August
The Ripe Corn Ceremony - held in the end of September
The Great New Moon Ceremony - held in October
The Reconciliation Ceremony - held 10 days after Great New Moon
The Bounding Bush Ceremony
The Uku Dance replaced the Great New Moon Ceremony every 7th year

The directions:

The numbers 4 and 7 are sacred in relation to the directions. 4 representing the primary directions of North, South, East and West with the Sacred Fire in the center, where they meet.

7 Represents the 7 directions honored by the Cherokee, north, south, east, west, above, below, and "here in the center", the place of the sacred fire.

So, when I look at Suede's picture, hear him crowing, talk to Cyn about his him, his behavior and demeanor, I get a "feel" for his spirit, or him. I feel strength, loyalty, devotion, gentleness, a guardian and lovable. I see those things in the design and the strength of it. So, as silly or weird as it may seem to some or many, I actually prayed long and hard about the design. I sat my little butt outside in the wee morning hours (cold too lol), and I prayed for guidance and meaning. I did that 7 mornings...each time facing a new direction. Then I sat down to sketch it.

I can only imagine what someone may think by reading all of that...but it so much a part of who I am, how I was raised and where I came from that to me, it is normal. Some people go to church on Sunday pray....I sit in the woods before the Creator each morning, seek advice and guidance. I put so much of heart and soul into a gift I create that it is important to me that it has the right purpose and comes from a good place. I can think of no better place for it to come from than my heart and my beliefs.

I am not beneath picking up a rock and talking to it...it is old and has seen many things...it is wise. You would be surprised what you can learn from a rock. As children we are sat on a rock to contemplate our actions or behavior.
wink.png

Sorry this was so long and filled with information many may not care to read. But in short...yes there is a long story behind the design and the gift itself.
big_smile.png

Thank you so much for this information on your clans, the ceremonies and your special prayers for this beautiful beaded work of Suede.
It all certainly shines through in the final project.
Wonderful, and I am in awe of you.
Wow.

Beth

She is still working on the piece--as many works of art, it took longer than we expected. She still has my beautiful rendition of Suede in beads, but when she visited, she brought him so I could see. He is amazing, truly amazing. The piece has depth and texture and is true artistry! It will have an honored place in my home when she is finished (a cross country move slowed down the final steps of the project, of course).
smile.png

Quote:
DD and I got to see it, too. It is amazing!!
I've done some minor beadwork, enough to understand just how much love and labor went into this piece. It is truly a work of art.

Quote:
I've done some minor beadwork, enough to understand just how much love and labor went into this piece. It is truly a work of art.

She should do one of Thor.

Quote:

She should do one of Thor.

YES!

BeadPam I will gladly share it if I can find it. We moved cross country back in 2010 and I have not done those earrings in many years but if I can find it, I will pm you.

Probably should show off the finished project which now hangs in Speckledhen's home.

The center sickle belongs to my Thor, Suede's son and the red feathers to the left belong to his son Hector, the dark blue ones to the right belong to my blue Orp Lancelot because Speckledhen is so fond of him....there is also a feather donation on there from Suede's daughter Athena and of course Suede himself....whose beautiful long sickles are left and right of him....there are donations from other beloved birds on the project too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom