Speckledhen...Domino Final update Pg 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so I made a liquid food for her. I took her layer crumbles and put them through my coffee grinder and mixed it with water. She drank a good amount on her own. She is drinking water with elctrolytes in it.

She had a odd poo, sorta yellow loose with the firmer white on top. So, a last ditch effort, I have wormed her with Ivermectin pour-on. She had free choice food and water constantly available and we forcing her to eat and drink every hour - two hours.

Cheyenne is home on spring break and she will monitor her until midnight or so and then I will take over from there. It is going to be a long night but she is worth it to us.

Thanks for the prayers and kind words...cyber hugs are great too. I know you BYC folks understand so that is so helpful.

I will keep you posted.

Quote:
I had thought of it but I am so scared to do it. The opening is not like a human's or dog's and my hands shake just thinking about trying it and I would never forgive myself if I hurt her and caused some injury or damage.

Last edited:
Can you get several cc's of oil into her? I know you mentioned oil, but not sure if you were referring to oil on bread or a syringe. I am just thinking that a decent amount of oil in a syringe may lube up whatever the obstruction is.

Another idea...probably a long shot, but at this point, I think it is worth throwing it out there...Could it possibly be swollen from an allergy of some sort? bee sting, bad plant, etc? If she is able to eat and drink (even if minimally), it is going somewhere. Maybe her esophagus is swollen. Maybe even from eating something sharp or abrasive like a sticker on the ground that just irritated the esophagus enough to cause swelling inside. Can chickens be given benadryl, loratadine or any other antihistamine?

Again...long shot probably, but if it doesn't cause harm, it's worth considering, right?

I tried to research giving chickens Benadryl on the web and found only one reference to someone saying the vet had recommended it for a chicken. But it did not give a dosage.

It is good that you can get some food and fluid in her. I'd probably add some oil if she will eat again, too.

It certainly sounds like she knows she is cared for! That might be the most important thing of all!

Lots of folks have you in their thoughts.

She has been getting vegetable oil every hour all day 1/4 cc at a time. at one point she actually just let it fall from her mouth...she had all she was going to have. LOL.

When I give it to her, she swallows it. I know she is not starving because she is getting nutrients from the soupy food, the vitamins and minerals in her water, electrolytes to keep her from dehydrating. she even some of her layer crumble dry a couple of times. Not a lot at once but she is trying.

She was standing up just a bit ago and looked at me when I walked in the room.

I am taking over the watch in a couple of hours from DD so I will let you know how she is in the morning.

Keep your fingers crossed and say a little prayer. She is just a sweetheart...it could not happen to one of mean RIRs no it has to be one of my spoiled lovebug babies.

Quote:
I know, she has been so good. She fought me a little when I wanted to look down her throat but she was not really that bad. she had taken everything I give her and every feel, squeeze, grope or exam. She sat in my lap for awhile tonight and "talked" softly to me. she tried to get in my robe pocket but she is way too big for that now. When she was a chick she rode around in my pocket most of the day. LOL

It really sounds like she might just get through this! And I think you are doing a wonderful job.

Thank you gosh I hope so. I lost my beautiful growling chicken Lilly in november...cardiac failure took her. That was so hard. We had two vets working on helping her. Sadly they did not find the infection in her heart until after she died. Apparently, she was bron with it.
sad.png

Glad to hear she is still with us. You are doing all you can for her and much more than many would do. With all this supportive care and love, there's a chance she will take a huge turn for the better. Could be what was mentioned, perhaps a reaction to something caused her airway to become inflamed and make her uncomfortable. Just keep on and I'm crossing fingers for her. Cheyenne is such a sweetheart with a huge love of animals I'm positive she got from her mom.
hugs.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom