Speckledhen's Ten Commandments of Good Flock Management

Pics
I might buy some of that stuff anyway though.

Is there a withdrawal period that you can't eat the eggs?

And where do you get it?

Yes, there is a withdrawal. Some say as long as a month, but I usually just avoid the eggs for about 2 weeks and maybe a couple more days after that. It's really up to you. You can search for it online. Prices vary quite a bit, depending on where you buy it. @casportpony has a link for getting a smaller amount of it for about $15. My bottle cost $30-something, can't remember exactly. It's a big bottle, though, because I have almost 40 birds to worm.

ETA: I'd check someone's poop immediately after they drop it. Just get a stick and pick in it. If it's moving, that bird has worms. You can see the roundworms if they're large enough.

Thank you for that list speckledhen. Have a great tip for catching a chicken. A $15 fish net with an extendable aluminum handle and nylon net. Like this one. These are great because the chicken doesn't get tangled or caught in the netting. Haven't had to extend the handle yet either.

Attachments

• net.jpg
    net.jpg
    459 KB · Views: 11
Thank you for that list speckledhen. Have a great tip for catching a chicken. A $15 fish net with an extendable aluminum handle and nylon net. Like this one. These are great because the chicken doesn't get tangled or caught in the netting. Haven't had to extend the handle yet either.

Thanks for the tip, but I have to chuckle. I've never had to use anything like that. Usually, all it takes is calling them by name, or shaking a jar with mixed grains in it and they come running, the one you want or that one, plus ten others, LOL. Nope, my problem is the opposite. They're all underfoot and trip hazards! :lau

I also use a fishing net to catch birds. They are a great tool. I also use them to catch my bunnies if they are uncooperative about going back to their hutch after some out play time. My critters all know what a fishing net is for. I have even in the past used them to catch wayward baby goats.

Thanks for the tip, but I have to chuckle. I've never had to use anything like that. Usually, all it takes is calling them by name, or shaking a jar with mixed grains in it and they come running, the one you want or that one, plus ten others, LOL. Nope, my problem is the opposite. They're all underfoot and trip hazards! :lau
Around here if I can actually get a hold of a chicken without a chase there's something wrong with them. They are good at keeping just out of my reach, even the friendly ones. I'm too slow at bending and grabbing. The buggars will still trip me, but once they are onto that I want to catch them they skedaddle out of range.

Around here if I can actually get a hold of a chicken without a chase there's something wrong with them.

Must be something wrong with all of mine, then, LOL. All my husband has to do most of the time is hold out his arms and say "Come here, baby". Chicken-whisperer!

Wow so much work to deworm a chicken. All I do is wait til sundown, take a flashlight and pick the chicken I want off the roost. Treat her or do what I need to to her in the light of the back porch security light and stuff her back on the roost if that's where I need her to go. Although, mostly, like speckledhen, I just say "Here Clucks, treat!" and shake the mealworm jar at them.

I just try to speed as much time near them as I can. And I start as young as possible.
Now i only have one bird that doesn't let me get too close, Rodger Rooster.
And all but the five week old youngsters automatically squat when I reach for them.

Back
Top Bottom