Speckledhen's Ten Commandments of Good Flock Management

Pics
I love hearing about good breeding practices!

When I was heavily involved w/ a kennel that specialized in German and Chek bred German Shepherds, we often had to make tough decisions regarding culling for work ability. Although it was rare that a pup had to be put down, if we had a pup born w/ tons of drive and zero nerve it was placed with the utmost of care because misshandled it would beyond a shadow of a doubt become a dangerous fear biter... ya'all think killing sick chicks is hard, try putting down a puppy that you raised from birth. I had a litter born premie- so young they could not stay w/ mom because she inadvertantly tore them while trying to clean them because their skin was too thin. Of all of the pups I tube fed (and the person in charge of the breeding program advised me to have them put down), only one survived... His skull was slightly misshaped- did not get realized until he was 3 months of age and went to the vet for the 10 or 11 time, who had missed it until then. Since he seemed OK we just kept an eye on it. But he was euthanized at 8 months when he developed obvious birth defect related convulsions at 8 months of age. Had I just listened to the knowlegable person who advised me to have the pups put down. I could have saved that pup and myself a lot of stress... but not before I had put in over 700+ hours of training with "Napoleon" , and watched his littermates die one by one. He was the most promising pup the breeding program had ever produced, and even the Secret Service had expressed an interest in him.

...As for my poultry, I do wish to show and improve my breeds of choice. That being said, I will have my show birds permanently quarantined until they are retired, and cull vigorously. My Family will be eating both eggs and meat from my birds... I will do my best to have what my flock produces, be it live birds/eggs/manure/meat, be safe and healthy for their sake first and foremost. If my flock benefits from my keeping my family safe, great.

Last edited:
Apology if this is wrong thread for this: watched my young birds (2 mo.) cleaning feathers with beak all over bodies. Is this normal chicken behavior, or should I look for problem pests? Sent for Dummies book & have chicken disease book. Want to avoid problems from the get go - new chicks, new quarters, clean, light, airy, nutritious stuff on my part.

Last edited:
Sounds like good old fashioned preening. All birds will preen their feathers. I think the original poster suggested inspecting chickens up close and personal (grab the rascals) and give them a good going over. Push their feathers around and feel for scabs, look at their eyes, noses, etc for anything that shouldn't be there.

But a chicken preening itself is trying it's best to look its best. Maybe it's trying to impress you even.

Thank you speckledhen for that great reminder! I read through this every now and then to remind myself of how we all ought to take care of our birds!

Thank you for posting this.

I am new and I knew the responsibility of research is mine.

I do have a question one thing I never thought to prepare my self for culling any of my chicks.
When I read that post my heart sunk I am a very soft hearted person and my passion for animals are so great.
How or what could I do to prepare my self if ever I needed to cull one of my birds?

The reason I am asking is cause I agree with everything you have said here, that in order to protect the whole flock one should be really careful what they bring back.
So far I have been really lucky, all my birds have come from a feed store. I had one that sneezed a few times but he was a porker and had got some feed down his nose.

I lost my rooster to a hawk, so now my girls are left with no roo I got 2 more think they as roo but ended up pullet.
So now I have a roo on the way but he will have to be placed in a different area until he has the all clear. But this is another reason I am thanking you cause I would have ever known not to put them together in a few days had I not read this post. I stumbled over it by accident tonight........he will arrive monday. So I feel everything happens for a reason.

I had already agreed to take him he is 5 months old and I would feel like a rotten person if I told the lady who came all this way no sorry I can't take him.
This will be the very last time I do this though.

Again thank you so much for your info.......it has helped me greatly......

Quote:
I think the best thing you can do is just to know that it might be necessary at one time or another - more often the more involved you get in raising chickens.

And to decide ahead of time on your method. It is all the more heart-wrenching to have a suffering bird before you, who needs to be put down, and be tearfully trying to figure out HOW to do it. Figure out HOW while the situation is not before you, so that when the time comes you have one less decision to make.

There are quite a few awfully lengthy threads on the most humane ways to put down chicks and chickens.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=205647

This thread has basically the information you will find on most of them.

Hopefully, this will not be something you will face, but if you do, it is great to be prepared.

Hopefully, this will not be something you will face, but if you do, it is great to be prepared.

thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I think the best thing you can do is just to know that it might be necessary at one time or another - more often the more involved you get in raising chickens.

And to decide ahead of time on your method. It is all the more heart-wrenching to have a suffering bird before you, who needs to be put down, and be tearfully trying to figure out HOW to do it. Figure out HOW while the situation is not before you, so that when the time comes you have one less decision to make.

There are quite a few awfully lengthy threads on the most humane ways to put down chicks and chickens.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=205647

This thread has basically the information you will find on most of them.

Thank you Beth!

speckledhen I have been on this forum since last Oct and I have read your post many times, which has made keeping my flock easier. I thank you, I have noticed that you do give the same advice as in your Ten commandments. I am so glad that you are a member and really do appreciate all the knowledge you bring to BYC. Thank you again.

Back
Top Bottom