Speckledhen's Ten Commandments of Good Flock Management

Pics
Feel free to print it out and distribute to anyone who needs it.
smile.png

Quote:
You are right on. If you keep chickens as pets does not change the fact that they are FOOD first and foremost. If in doubt get the knife. Sentimentality kills not only your bird but thousands of others.

Speckledhen, thank you for this list! It's a lot to consider, DH and I have talked about getting into a rare breed or something. We just have shelter chooks and roo, nothing fancy, just fun to have chooks. But we've so enjoyed having them, and we have the room, so why not help out some chooks who need help. But do we get into breeding or do we just get shelter chooks?

We quar. new kids for 30 days, pop a family chook in at 21 days, and go from there. So far, no problems. But there isn't any real value to these chooks, other than just friends/pets.

We can and have culled. Had one girl who just could never get over lice, it was always coming back from her and then the others would get it, treat them, everyone else cleared up, she'd get it back...... It was her and her only. Culled her, did the treatment, haven't had lice back. The other side is that the chooks we cull (or would cull) are clearly not in good health. They can not be comfortable or have a good life or feel good. It's not fun to cull, but it is done to save everyone from misery. Same as we do for any of the other animals here. If we can't cure the problem and they are not going to have a good life, time to euthanize/cull.

But where to go from here....

And where to go from here got answered this afternoon. Driving into town to pick up some week olds or so from the shelter along with some older guineas. I'm the only chook adopter recently, so they called me not knowing what to do with chooks.

Which makes our EcoGrow NOT a wasteful purchase for 2 half grown babies last year.

We'll be building a new coop I guess, let the guineas take the old chooks coop and give the chooks get a new home.

Wonder how fast DH and family can build a coop....

Now if I could just teach my chickens rule #3 I clean their water and they will find any puddle of water to drink from
barnie.gif
it does drive me crazy some days.

Back
Top Bottom