Spiders spiders everywhere...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Kaitie09, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    This is not a major thing but it bugs the heck out of me. My coop is about 10ft tall and every day there is a new spider web. I hate them and they seem to like to fall on me while I am in there. The whole top of the coop looks to be covered in them, and I am only 5ft tall so I cannot reach them. Any suggestions on how to keep them out of the coop?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  2. smokeater413

smokeater413 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    NW Florida
    I leave mine alone, they help keep the fly and mosquito population down in the henhouse.

3. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:Ditto.

4. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    We have a billion fly traps, and its getting cold where I live now so we have no flies. We also don't have any mosquitoes inside the coop, as all for the water is in the run. Right now all they are doing is creating cobwebs that I run into walking in the door. I don't totally mind the ones on the roof, but there are groups of them that like to create their masterpieces at person height on the doors and food buckets.

5. ccrow

ccrow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Southern Maine
    If you keep knocking their webs down, they will probably relocate, unless there is a light source that's attracting insects... if a broom won't reach, then maybe a long stick or even one of those telescoping dusters.

6. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Eeek! I'd be scared to hang out with my chickens if I had that problem. [​IMG]

Is there anyway you could relocate your chicks while you sweep down the webs and spray some spider killer to the ceiling? I'm no expert but I would think that after the spray has dried it would not pose a threat to your birds...if I'm wrong please correct me, BYCers.[​IMG]

7. Mama duck 8

Mama duck 8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    I am just always knocking them down with a stick and kill them...they will stop comming

8. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    the chickens will eat em if they can get at em [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by