Spin off: What's the LEAST you've spent on a chicken? :)

Appaloosa Hill Farm

Songster
10 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Southern Middle TN
And free doesn't count!
gig.gif
I paid $.50 each for my porcelain d'Uccle roo and my mottled Cochin bantam roo. You?
pop.gif

edited for smiley fail!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm jealous! I spent 5.00 for my splash, bantam cochin roo.

Um, I think I spent 1.50 on my RSL pullets when they were chicks. I don't have a lot of variation. My flock's only 12 birds (going to 11 tomorrow, when I give away a spare rooster). The range is pretty much teh RSL chicks for 1.50, my splash cochin roo, BO roo, and oEGB for 5.00 each, my bantam cochin hens for 10.00 each and then the D'uccle pair for 25.00.

...This just makes me want to buy mroe chickens. I'm not! But god I want to.

Ok, this one was free but it's a funny story.

I was at a show and someone was offering a very nice Brown Red Modern Game cock from a notable breeder's bloodline. I asked "how much" she said "free."
big_smile.png
Of course I wanted it! Looked it over, it was healthy, awesome type, good color, etc... what's the catch? I thought I just lucked out. I get the bird home, and when I open its cage... it leaps out the cage at my FACE and attacks! The catch was the fact that the bird was a man eater. lol. Still have him, but dang is he mean!

Wow....our TSC chicks were like $2.80something. My cheapest would have been a pretty little Silkie/something cross that the man wanted $2.50 for. However, I argued and "bargained" my way up to $5 (LOL...yes, I am serious)!!!

Oddly, I've never paid for a chicken.
I've bought hatching eggs, and I've given away enough chickens to fill a truck. I've been given more than a few chickens, which of course counts as zero - so that doesn't count.
But to date, I've not yet purchased a live bird.

Well -- if free doesn't count, then the cheapest for me would be $2 for a trio of show bred white bantam leghorns. It was an auction held by a poultry club after their semi-annual show in order to raise money for the club, and nobody wanted them. The $2 was actually for two pairs, but I refused to take the second rooster!

I'd say $5.00 for each silkie. Bought 5 of the things! Got them for $20 total because I didn't have an extra $5.00.

Just waiting on them to ya know...actually start brooding...eventually.

If not...I guess I'll have to show them or something. Darnit.

I have never got a free bird... nor have I ever given a bird away for free. Figured if I'm going to give it away I might as well eat it.
hide.gif

But my cheapest bird was probably $1.50, but I mostly stay in the $3 - $5 dollar range.
idunno.gif

$1.50 for Serama chicks here locally
ep.gif
She had bought the parent stock at a show. I saw the parents and they had nice type, but on the large size, but I figured for $1.50 each, I could get them started and breed down for size.

Back
Top Bottom