Spiral Leg Bands?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tulie13, Aug 9, 2011.

1. tulie13

tulie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    My friend and I were thinking about getting some spiral leg bands from Cutler supply. We were going to split an order of multiple colors to track generations of chickens (we have small flocks, so we won't have to track from chicks to adults, just "this year's chicks" vs. "last year's chicks").

We wanted to get the spirals for ease of use, and re-usability.

Problem - some of my hens of the SAME BREED have very different sized legs. I was thinking we could just get the larger ones, Size 12, which is 3/4" circumference. These are supposed to be good for Orpingtons and RIR's, which are the larger hens out of our flocks. But these would be loose on the smaller chickens (we have some Easter Eggers, too).

Any problem with having the spiral leg band somewhat loose, and sort of sitting on top of their foot like a bangle bracelet? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Any help/advice you could give me would be appreciated, [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

THANKS,
    Julie

2. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    Cutlers does have a variety pack of different sizes(at least they use to) Call and tell them what you are after and I think they sell different size and variety of colors too.
    Quote:

3. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    Just watch out for them being too tight. I had some on my chicks and they were all loose and I was good with it. Then in just a matter of days I noticed my little BO rooster was limping and sure enough, something had happened to his band and was super tight, cutting off the circulation in his leg and cutting into the back of it. None of the others were this way and I checked every band before putting the chick down.

Just watch them closely

4. Rachel'sFlock

Rachel'sFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

I have spiral bands on all 9 of my hens, size 11, and they are adult black australorps. BOs are a bit bigger, u may want to use size 12 (the size suggested for roos of heavy breeds).
    There has been no trouble about them having the band be too tight, or too loose. My girls have different sized legs, also. The ankle bracelet look has been pretty fetching, actually, and solves, forever, the question, "now, which one are u?"
    Hope this works for you!

5. tulie13

tulie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    Thanks for the input - I think I'll go with a 12. We are only going to band adult birds, as we don't have enough chicks to concern ourselves with at any given time (not more than one batch, easy to keep track of). Since my Buffs are the largest we have, if I get 12's they should fit everyone without being tight, and just be loose on some. I was worried about the chickens pulling them off or something, I did not order red legbands... [​IMG]

6. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I have a good solution for all my birds except the Brahmas; those feathers on the legs are messing me up. I like the Cutler bands, but they don't mention sizes for Brahmas. Would it be the same as Cochins? My Brahmas are way bigger than either my Rocks or my Orps.

7. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    OK, because I'm a tightwad, I just buy those plastic zip tie wraps (used for wrapping wires together). They have them in the hardware department at Walmart and use them for leg bands. They aren't numbered but I don't need numbers anyway. The size is adjustable and they come in assorted colors. If I need to clip it off, no big deal.

This is a yellow zip tie that I used to mark my roosters. Yellow was a keeper, orange was my second choice guy.

Lisa

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by