Spitzhauben PIC HEAVY SORRY!

EweSheep

Flock Mistress
14 Years
Jan 12, 2007
Land of Lincoln
Is this a pullet? Correct eye color and hairdo?

chickens094.jpg

Last edited:
Roos and pullets???????
chickens072.jpg

The ones with pink bands are from Ideal and the ones without bands are from Carlas OK stock. Boy, arent they pretty? Any comments on their hairdos and eye colors and any other comments are very welcome. I know I gotta cull heavy to get the best I can out of the flock before getting more from CarlaTX and her friend south of Illinois.

So enjoy!

Last edited:
They are pretty for eye candy but I believe some of them may not be the "correct hairdo" of the Spitzhaubens.

For example, under the roos and pullets??? pic, the pullet on the upper right side of the picture, standing next to the possible rooster, she may NOT be correct since she got the look of a polish hat rather than standing straight up and tipped forward.

First two pictures are hens. Crests are rather bushy, but don't go backward (that I can tell). Might be able to breed to a roo with a small forward facing crest to improve the offspring.

At your bird's ages, all of the ones with wattles are roosters. The combs are more prominant than the pullets and are red. The pullets will develope wattles later and will be pink at first. They won't have much of a comb until after about a year.

#3 is a roo.

#4 Unless some of the birds are older than the others, the one in the background is a pullet. The others I can see are cockerels.

#6 One cockerel in the back. The rest are pullets. The pullet in the foreground has the best crest of the bunch. It is the tightest and smallest.

British eye standard is dark brown and I didn't see any light amber eyes in the bunch.

If you want to breed to improve your birds, get rid of all the ones with backward crests. Be selective with the ones with bushy crests. The backward crest seems to be dominate, and you can breed out the Polish crests easier. If you have any cockerel with an upright crest, even if it does not go forward, he might be a keeper.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom