Spitzhaubens

Pics
Benny enjoys his frozen watermelon :)

Benny enjoys his frozen watermelon
smile.png

Nice looking boy!

I recently had some left-over watermelon from a party & tried giving it to my chickens.

My "teens" had no problem trying out some left over water melon, but my adults wouldn't even give it a peck - for several hours they avoided it !!? HUH??? What's that all about?

I had my camera ready to snap a pic of the chicken party that I had anticipated. When I zoomed in on my pic, I realized the problem....It was the shape. My artistic sister carved the melon into a pretty basket with handle & tiny tooth-like edges. (balled melon pieces inside) I suppose it may have looked a little like a giant, hungry, chicken-eating, predator mouth. Once I ripped off the handle & broke it into pieces, the adults ate it. The world then made sense again. The teens were given the few left-over melon balls in their tractor, so nothing to fear.

Here's a close up of that awful, scary piece of fruit.

ha ha ha

One of the first SS peeps I hatched out on my own is a teen now and showing white heavy so far - I'm actually pleased with that as he can balance out my other black heavy hen .... his crest is pointed perfectly but way too small - but he has good dark eyes and slate legs.

The other pullet in the pic is a "araucana" bantam. I was told she's pure but with a tail like that and muffs and a bit of beard I'm thinking its not so pure. But I want to hear what you think if the spitz, her leg color is AMAZING hard to see here but when I say slate blue I mean the most intense blue slate ever seen, not whashed out at all!!!

OH ! I'm sure pleased with that - of course one pic doesn't say it all - but the tail set looks nice to me - crest good ... maybe a wee bit too much black on chest? Looks like she has nice dark eyes !!!

jumpy.gif

I'd also love to hear the input from others !

Back
Top Bottom