Spitzhaubens

Pics
If they have been super red for three weeks, there is a good chance that they are hiding eggs.

However, since they hit maturity after the solstice, things could easily just be a bit slower to get started up. I would look carefully for hidden nests, but not worry much about it one way or the other for another three weeks.

Thanks.
Here's our other one. This one isn't quite as red, but better trained. Still having a hard time figuring out which one to keep.
DD is teaching them how to come & jump on her arm when called. (I don't chase chickens, so they must be easy to catch or be well trained.)

Not sure. We live in a neighborhood with a small-medium coop.
Here it is when ready for winter. We made "storm windows" for the run with clear vinyl + wooden frames. Two years ago we added an extension with a flip up roof for cleaning. As you can see it has evolved to hold more than my orig idea of 6 hens. LOL

Last winter we kept 15 chickens & I doubt I want to keep more than that in such a small area. (Many are big fluffy Orpingtons.) When the snow comes, they tend not to walk around outside much. I have 20 right now & must decide who is being sold. Right now the weather is great & they only go inside the coop/run areas to sleep, lay eggs, take a dust bath in the sand, or grab some feed. Most of the time, the structure is empty. In the eve, the 6 elders sleep inside the actual coop & the others sleep on a long roost going across the tall run. It's like a big screened room & much cooler.

BTW- Spitzy finally laid an egg!!!!! I thought it came from my Sebright, who was sitting on it this morning. The egg was slightly heavier than normal. When I returned a few hours later, I noticed another small white egg in the same box. My guess is that I gave credit to my Sebright for Spitzy's egg. Now I wonder if she had already started or if this is her 1st. I have never seen either Spitzhauben check out the nest area.

Not sure. We live in a neighborhood with a small-medium coop. Here it is when ready for winter. We made "storm windows" for the run with clear vinyl + wooden frames. Two years ago we added an extension with a flip up roof for cleaning. As you can see it has evolved to hold more than my orig idea of 6 hens. LOL Last winter we kept 15 chickens & I doubt I want to keep more than that in such a small area. (Many are big fluffy Orpingtons.) When the snow comes, they tend not to walk around outside much. I have 20 right now & must decide who is being sold. Right now the weather is great & they only go inside the coop/run areas to sleep, lay eggs, take a dust bath in the sand, or grab some feed. Most of the time, the structure is empty. In the eve, the 6 elders sleep inside the actual coop & the others sleep on a long roost going across the tall run. It's like a big screened room & much cooler. BTW- [COLOR=0000CD]Spitzy finally laid an egg!!!!! [/COLOR]I thought it came from my Sebright, who was sitting on it this morning. The egg was slightly heavier than normal. When I returned a few hours later, I noticed another small white egg in the same box. My guess is that I gave credit to my Sebright for Spitzy's egg. Now I wonder if she had already started or if this is her 1st. I have never seen either Spitzhauben check out the nest area.
Where are you?

Where are you?
Chicago suburbs. It can get very cold here in the winter. They'll go outside when it's 25'F or above. My spoiled birds prefer not to walk outside in snow, so they spend much of the winter in that small area. Jan-Feb is mostly inside.

Hard to think about winter now when it's so warm outside, but some of the hens are already starting to molt.

My girl Joon

Back
Top Bottom