Spitzhaubens

Pics
Since you don't have to worry about roosters flying onto your roof, I guess the Spitzhaubens are a good breed. Do your sptizes lay year round or stop for the winter?

Now that we are down to ONE female spitz, it's time to name to name her. We were calling the girls Spitzie & Spaetzel but as a pair - not individually. DD wants to reuse the name Spitzie (after the hen we lost last winter), but DS has been calling her "Poof-Poof."
:lau

I just have a bad feeling that poor pullet isn't going to get a good name. (Some of our chickens have 2-4 names & nicknames which really confuses DH. He has no idea how many chickens we own.) On the bright side, the spitz is being showered with attention & is very tame.

Speaking of combs..I need to take a picture of that Spitzen-Egger. Stucki has a very unusual comb. It looks kind of like a small single comb, but at the top of the head it comes to a "V" shape. The bird is so fast, I will need help to get a good close-up picture LOL

She was pretty cooperative (I soooo hope it is a she!). Photobomb by a Sulmtaler cockerel. stucki-71417B.JPG stucki-71417.JPG stucki-71417A.JPG

Markie spent the night with the flock for the first time last night. I was so worried I woke up at 5AM and went out to check on him and the Sulmtaler hen. LOL The Sulmtaler hen was hatched with Markie and she sticks to him like glue. Zelda/Zelly is a little younger but I let her run around with the flock during the day and put her with the young ones in the brooder at night still.

Attachments

• markie-71417.JPG
    markie-71417.JPG
    321.7 KB · Views: 7
  • babies-71417.JPG
    babies-71417.JPG
    292.5 KB · Views: 8
Yay! I was so disappointed to not even see a little bit of extra fluff up there. There's still hope! Mine look almost exactly like yours except their heads have a brownish tinge. And actually today I noticed some sort of patterning might be coming in on their wings.

Yay! I was so disappointed to not even see a little bit of extra fluff up there. There's still hope! Mine look almost exactly like yours except their heads have a brownish tinge. And actually today I noticed some sort of patterning might be coming in on their wings.
Yes, I wasn't sure she would ever get one, but then it popped up! Don't worry :)

I hope she will be a bit smarter with the Spitzhauben in her. I have a hen and a roo Easter Egger but they are both not very bright. I am trying to get some eggs to hatch again from the EE hen, but she keeps breaking her eggs because she lays them wherever! This afternoon I opened the front door and there she was by my car and stood up and dropped in in the gravel. Sure enough, broken. I find them laying everywhere! I won't even breed the roo; I just keep him for a friend for my Spitzhauben roo.

Back
Top Bottom