Spitzhaubens

This was Feisty my seabright cockerel, I miss him he was my favorite!
View attachment 1706813 View attachment 1706814
And this is Fancy my polish cockerel. He was nuts!
Ha! They look like characters!
I have a Sebright hen that's my favorite chicken! She's quite outspoken and opinionated. Faraday and her Sebright inspired me to train her to fly to my arm... @Faraday40 do you still have Trouble?
flying (3 of 1).jpg

Last edited:
I have a Sebright hen that's my favorite chicken! She's quite outspoken and opinionated. Faraday and her Sebright inspired me to train her to fly to my arm... @Faraday40 do you still have Trouble?
View attachment 1706835
I was so sad she ended up being a he lol I raised four chicks last year, one passed a few days after I got her and one (the for sure pullet, of course) got out of her coop and I never found her body but I’m sure the neighbors cats got her, so sad she was the sweetest. Then my remaining two ended up being cockerels! So I’m hoping for better odds this time around!

View attachment 1706835

Yes.... and she's still Trouble! She has fun pushing the orp pullets around. Even the big orp roo obeys her commands. Lately she's been thinking about going broody and very vocal about everything. A pullet in HER nest box and will get kicked out whenever Trouble decides to sit there. (She's not staying in the nest for more than a couple hours, so she's not serious about it.)

We now have a serama roo. Our "useless bantams" (my loving nickname for them) have their own little coop. Trouble's already queen of the big coop, so I decided to leave her with the BIG girls. DD tried to let the serama roo visit & breed Trouble. He did his best little wing dances, but Trouble beat him up for all his efforts.

I was so sad she ended up being a he lol I raised four chicks last year, one passed a few days after I got her and one (the for sure pullet, of course) got out of her coop and I never found her body but I’m sure the neighbors cats got her, so sad she was the sweetest. Then my remaining two ended up being cockerels! So I’m hoping for better odds this time around!
So sad you had such terrible luck last year. I really hope your Spitz turns out to be female. They are sweet birds. A lot less feisty than the Sebrights. They lay pretty well, have a great WOW factor, are rare & unique, and can be trained to fly up to your arm. DD did this the 1st year we had Spitzes. I warned her not to teach it to our big, fat orpingtons, though. Can you imagine a big 8-10 lb bird attempting to land on your arm!?
IMG_3855.jpg
IMG_3856.jpg
IMG_3847 copy.jpg

My Sebright, Moonshine, won't let the Spitz rooster near her. I think it would make a lovely cross, but she won't hear of it. Yet she wants to be a mama. She goes broody a lot--I think it was 5 or 6 times last year. She can hatch some of the Spitz eggs this year maybe.

Yes.... and she's still Trouble! She has fun pushing the orp pullets around. Even the big orp roo obeys her commands. Lately she's been thinking about going broody and very vocal about everything. A pullet in HER nest box and will get kicked out whenever Trouble decides to sit there. (She's not staying in the nest for more than a couple hours, so she's not serious about it.)

We now have a serama roo. Our "useless bantams" (my loving nickname for them) have their own little coop. Trouble's already queen of the big coop, so I decided to leave her with the BIG girls. DD tried to let the serama roo visit & breed Trouble. He did his best little wing dances, but Trouble beat him up for all his efforts.

So sad you had such terrible luck last year. I really hope your Spitz turns out to be female. They are sweet birds. A lot less feisty than the Sebrights. They lay pretty well, have a great WOW factor, are rare & unique, and can be trained to fly up to your arm. DD did this the 1st year we had Spitzes. I warned her not to teach it to our big, fat orpingtons, though. Can you imagine a big 8-10 lb bird attempting to land on your arm!?
View attachment 1707030 View attachment 1707031 View attachment 1707029
Adorable! Thank you for sharing!

54992450-93FD-4500-A4A7-F12E735B91E8.jpeg
EEA4538A-5F96-4DF5-9A33-A860F8568E5C.jpeg
I agree!

She looks very pullet-like!
I’m so happy! I think I only ended up with one roo out of my bunch of nine! Well five were sold as pullets and four as straight run but I’m pretty sure my white silkie is a roo. Rounded comb already turning pink, much bigger than my other two silkies the same age and not calm like my other two.

Back
Top Bottom