Spitzhaubens

Does anyone have pictures of theirs to share?

I got two by mistake, I thought they were Hamburgs but then they grew crests. They're the most adorable and sweet-natured chicks I have ever had. I think I'm in love.
love.gif

One is mostly white and one has more black.

As little chicks...

504738061_dhXxh-M.jpg

And yesterday:

512921339_JXBXb-M.jpg

512917009_B7dud-M.jpg
20191009_184122.jpg
20190925_135506.jpg
20191127_125810.jpg

All that snow! It's 50° here.....our snow melted.
It got up to 43'F today.... but we've been frozen for a while, so there's a lot of snow yet to melt.

My chickens are a bit spoiled. They only walk on the patio where I shoveled. I took this pic of my lav orp yesterday.
IMG_2298 (2).jpg

Mine hate the snow. You should see 20+ orps trying to stand in the snow free spaces around the coop and under it. It's ridiculous. Spitzies are only mildly better.

Here was my baby "Drumsticks"

He was so sweet and would fly over the fence to run up and greet me as soon as I opened the back door. He was well liked by his pullets but had a bad habit of flying on top of the garage to eat mulberries. I didn't like the idea of a living weather vane on the roof to let all the neighbors know we had chickens. (Not to mention the crowing)

spitz7.jpg

As he aged his crest turned all white and had a great shape. I ended up selling him to a breeder.
IMG_2714.JPG

Last summer I had bought 6 Chamois Spangled Appenzeller Chicks from a breeder, they arrived in the mail and all were healthy! All 6 are still doing great, and I ended up with 1 rooster and 5 hens -- which would be great except I fear the rooster may be a cull :( My rooster is way lighter than the hens I have, and It is also way lighter than the pictures on the breeders website. If anyone knows anything about Chamois Spitzies or how the genetics work any help / feedback / input would be greatly appreciated! I created a thread specific to my issue: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chamois-spangled-appenzeller-spitzhauen-rooster.1349621/ Any Responses here, or there, would be greatly appreciated.

True.... he is light, but I would go ahead and hatch all of the eggs and see what you get.

He does have a good crest, good leg color, good comb and good eyelid color....

His tail is high, but it is very difficult to get Spitz without a squirrel tail...so ....

Yep, I would use him to breed.

Back
Top Bottom