Spitzhaubens

"Fraulein Pullet," very sweet. From Meyers.
abi.PNG

I hear the hats should tilt forward.
"Kato" hen. She was more aggressive, but calmed down. She always leaves me a little "extra" gift on her egg. I think on purpose. She was from a feed store.
handg.PNG

Hi everyone, how’s your spring? How are your chickens? @Faraday40 @Alaskan @homeschoolin momma , and everyone else too
All is well here. I have the Spitz rooster and the 3 Spitzhauben hens, well, the 2 pullets are just about a year old now. And I have 5 Sprights, the mix between Spitz and Sebright. I have had time now to evaluate this designer mix. Below, a Spitz and a Spright from last May’s hatch:
07A38B61-E4DD-4A00-B80F-16DE8CFAD551.jpeg
The Sprights are as big as the Spitzhaubens. I thought they’d be half size. How did these big birds come out of those tiny eggs.....
Some of them also lay white eggs, which is a complication if one wants to hatch only Spitzes. Some lay smaller beige eggs and some lay big white eggs. They are excellent layers. At least 2 of the Sprights are compulsive broodies, like their Sebright mom. They may all be.
Below, Beldar and one of the Sprights. They all adore him.
EFB812B6-DAF8-4CB3-B189-BCE6C456775F.jpeg

Mama Spitz, Trixie:
8DADC694-24E6-46AF-B28C-86D94C454EAA.jpeg
Let us know how you and your flock are doing!

Last edited:
One of my gals tried 2x to be broody before deciding it wasn't for her. Lost another broody to an in-flock attack so I have what eggs she was sitting on in my incubator hopefully growing. They're all either from the broody before she sat or from the spitzhaubens

I have a broody Spitz who has been laying on 4 eggs—2 of her own and 2 from a Cream Legbar. I just heard peeps coming from under her, but couldn’t see anything because she has them completely covered up.

I don’t have a good photo of her in the nest box. It’s in a dark corner of the coop.
But here she is out & about on one of her daily self-care outings, about a week ago

Attachments

• B8C02445-2C82-4E1C-B0B9-D389A110B0EF.jpeg
    B8C02445-2C82-4E1C-B0B9-D389A110B0EF.jpeg
    667.2 KB · Views: 3
  • A967E212-664E-4C4B-B6EE-1D0C5CC01BC6.jpeg
    A967E212-664E-4C4B-B6EE-1D0C5CC01BC6.jpeg
    603.4 KB · Views: 3
We still only have DS's spitiz "PoofPoof" She’s never given a thought of going broody. (And I appreciate that bc I have enough bantams willing to do the job)

@homeschoolin momma gave me 3 spitz eggs to fill up those last empty spaces in my incubator. Well, all 3 are fertile, developing, and due to hatch at the end of the week.

Hope to post some pics next week

All 3 of @homeschoolin momma 's eggs were fertile. All 3 hatched today.

(Actually, I think all my hatches with her eggs have been 100%. The only time I had one die in the shell was at a preschool. The teacher removed the chicks as they hatched, so one got glued inside the shell. Her Spitz roosters do their job very well!)
View attachment 2632256View attachment 2632257View attachment 2632258
Be sure to enter the cutest baby chick contest! Spitzhauben chicks are the cutest!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-prizes-added-12th-annual-byc-easter-hatch-along—cutest-baby-fowl-photo-contest—win-a-brinsea-incubator.1445522/
I’m saving Spitz eggs for when someone goes broody. It’s about that time of year.....I’ve now got 3 Spitz hens but it is very hard to distinguish between the Spitz eggs and the Spright eggs as some of the Sprights lay white eggs. I have to be watching in on them a lot.

Back
Top Bottom