Spitzhaubens

@homeschoolin momma
Be on the lookout for some crowing boxes to arrive on your porch tomorrow morning!!!

Actually the new boys have not made a sound but our spitz cockerel likes to try. Pretty pathetic sounding but he can get lots of practice with you. :)

So here are some of your new potential roos:

Pretty, light colored, but typical skittish level
View attachment 3177833

Not as pretty but somewhat calm for a spitz male
View attachment 3177834

Not impressed with #3
View attachment 3177835
#4 also had a calmer personality, but darker
View attachment 3177836

Look at #4's serious face!
View attachment 3177839
I think 1 or 2 are probably the best possibilities plus your guy. I don't think 2 is so bad, his crest goes straight forward. It also might come down to combs. I got rid of my now gone roos brother because he had a small sprig on one of the horns. His only fault. He was just as gorgeous as his brother.

Now what to do with them all.....that spitz coop is packed! I think Grandpa and I are going to try to get the door on the emergency coop fixed tomorrow.

@Faraday40 , did someone say you sell hatching eggs?
The spitz you are seeing are mine. @Faraday40 just hatched out a bunch of my eggs, plus I gave a few extras from my hatch. The boys are coming back to replace my roo I had to put down two weeks ago.

Hopefully next year, I can send out some eggs. But these birds are descendents from Cackle stock. I picked the two best and bred them. So far the babies are looking good.

This is my most favorite baby out there this year. A lovely young gal. Curious and sweet, but still skittish.

20220623_204000.jpg

Can you bring one to me? =)
Wish I could ..... but if you're ever passing through Illinois.......
@Faraday40 , did someone say you sell hatching eggs?
I have Orpingtons (imported English bloodlines) and Seramas. I had some Spitzhaubens from a breeder in Missouri & later from Cackle. I ended up selling some to @homeschoolin momma years ago which is how we met and became close friends. I like Spitzhaubens but they are not an ideal breed for a neighborhood. (Fences are simply suggestions, and the rooster loved to lead his girls to the top of our garage to eat mulberries.... and crow.) So, she breeds the Spitzhaubens. As an added bonus, I got her into to English Orpingtons and Seramas too. Now I have an entire "back up flock" at her house!

My son adores his Spitzhauben hen "Poof Poof" and knows he can talk @homeschoolin momma into fertile eggs. He also knows I love hatching eggs, so that's why we frequently have spitz chicks in the summer. Speaking of fertile - I've always had 100% fertility and most of the time get 100% hatch with her Spitz eggs. Normally the baby chicks come & go, but this year he fell in love with one of them. That pullet will stay. The rest go back tomorrow.

I think 1 or 2 are probably the best possibilities plus your guy. I don't think 2 is so bad, his crest goes straight forward. It also might come down to combs. I got rid of my now gone roos brother because he had a small sprig on one of the horns. His only fault. He was just as gorgeous as his brother.

Now what to do with them all.....that spitz coop is packed! I think Grandpa and I are going to try to get the door on the emergency coop fixed tomorrow.
My guess is the 4 boys will form a small bachelor flock, while the pair will continue to stay close together. Mine are well trained to walk from the coop to the safety of the tractor. They help the turkey poults find their way. None of the baby Spitzhaubens have experienced more than a few min of human-supervised free range time. It will be interesting.

Wish I could ..... but if you're ever passing through Illinois.......

I have Orpingtons (imported English bloodlines) and Seramas. I had some Spitzhaubens from a breeder in Missouri & later from Cackle. I ended up selling some to @homeschoolin momma years ago which is how we met and became close friends. I like Spitzhaubens but they are not an ideal breed for a neighborhood. (Fences are simply suggestions, and the rooster loved to lead his girls to the top of our garage to eat mulberries.... and crow.) So, she breeds the Spitzhaubens. As an added bonus, I got her into to English Orpingtons and Seramas too. Now I have an entire "back up flock" at her house!

My son adores his Spitzhauben hen "Poof Poof" and knows he can talk @homeschoolin momma into fertile eggs. He also knows I love hatching eggs, so that's why we frequently have spitz chicks in the summer. Speaking of fertile - I've always had 100% fertility and most of the time get 100% hatch with her Spitz eggs. Normally the baby chicks come & go, but this year he fell in love with one of them. That pullet will stay. The rest go back tomorrow.
Can you show us a new pic of the one pullet your son is keeping?

Back
Top Bottom