Spitzhaubens

Bedtime shenanigans
20230103_161449.jpg

One of my cockerels. He lost a sickle feather.
20230103_161727.jpg

Two of my laying pullets
20230103_162111.jpg
20230103_162121.jpg

Nice photos... and oooooooh, graaaaaaass!!! :drool
Lol. Not a lot really. The ducks have really torn it up and it's been nothing but snow, followed by rain. So the ducks can make even MORE messes. The orps have a good amount of grass in their pasture. Its just naked around their coop. I really want to put some edging around the coops and then put sand down. Then at least I can walk around the coops without getting stuck!

I just noticed that a BYC'er in TX has some Appenzeller Spitz hens she needs to rehome. Look at the 'Buy-Sell-Trade' section under "Animals in Need of Rehoming". Hope someone might be interested. Wish I could take the girls but I'm at full capacity right now!

:woot to "Poot"

DS's spring pullet (named Poot) layed her 1st egg on Sat, 2nd egg today. That pampered Spitzhauben was very late to start! All of her sisters started laying at end of summer or in September. I have no idea why she waited until mid-winter to start. Just glad I now have a layer - no longer just a pet.

img_4439-jpg.3371385

BTW- He came up with the idea of "borrowing" a Spitz roo from @homeschoolin momma to mate with our Sebright, Trouble. I told him they're called Sprites and someone has already tried that. LOL It didn't change his mind.

Then I reminded him 1.) how the Spitz cockerel we know likes to sleep in trees,
2.) Trouble (although affectionate) hates to be held/restrained, and
3.) she beats up every rooster who dared to show her some lovin'.
We can only manage Trouble due to her training and desire to sleep above the window in the coop. So, let's take a fantastic flyer with too much attitude and breed her with a cockerel who takes the FREE in free-ranging way too far. I think he see's my hesitation.

:woot to "Poot"

DS's spring pullet (named Poot) layed her 1st egg on Sat, 2nd egg today. That pampered Spitzhauben was very late to start! All of her sisters started laying at end of summer or in September. I have no idea why she waited until mid-winter to start. Just glad I now have a layer - no longer just a pet.

img_4439-jpg.3371385

BTW- He came up with the idea of "borrowing" a Spitz roo from @homeschoolin momma to mate with our Sebright, Trouble. I told him they're called Sprites and someone has already tried that. LOL It didn't change his mind.

Then I reminded him 1.) how the Spitz cockerel we know likes to sleep in trees,
2.) Trouble (although affectionate) hates to be held/restrained, and
3.) she beats up every rooster who dared to show her some lovin'.
We can only manage Trouble due to her training and desire to sleep above the window in the coop. So, let's take a fantastic flyer with too much attitude and breed her with a cockerel who takes the FREE in free-ranging way too far. I think he see's my hesitation.
I love it!
The Sprites are lovely, super smart, a perfect size, and great layers. But 2 of the 5 hens are compulsive broodies like their Sebright mom. Every month, like clockwork. The Sprite cockerels were crazy and aggressive, I have kept none.
Our Sebright Moonshine is 6 yrs old. Her Sprite daughters, who all look just alike, are now higher in the pecking order than Mom, but Moonshine is above the Spitz’s and most importantly, she’s above 7 yr old Speck, the Sussex hen who used to be top hen. Speck was so mean to Moonshine. Moonshine has turned the tables, and never lets Speck forget it, not for a minute. Revenge on Speck has become her life mission.
These pics were taken in the summer, obviously. Moonshine and 2 of her daughters. Last pic includes 2 of the Spitzes for size comparison….
8BD3CF4A-A975-4C58-891C-C28943A66590.jpeg 41EA0EB9-4CA6-48C6-8AA7-3723C7746BDE.jpeg E1A10681-11D3-4286-A5D5-997E9F1F8EB5.jpeg 545E8610-BD55-4213-8C80-B67012F0929D.jpeg

The chicks from my crazy winter broody bantams will be 8 weeks on Friday.

Spitzhauben #1 (I'm leaning towards female) Just has a narrow girlish face
IMG_1554 (2).JPG
crop adjustment (or opera singer)
IMG_1589 (2).JPG

Spitzhauben #2 (I thought male because of head shape but no male wattles yet)
IMG_1649 (2).JPG IMG_1659 (2).JPG

Showgirl #1 (maybe female)
IMG_1597 (2).JPG IMG_1606 (2).JPG

Showgirl #2 - a frizzle! Maybe male. Comb has a pink hue at times & bigger than the other.
IMG_1612 (2).JPG
IMG_1621 (2).JPG

Serama - "Mr Obvious" Knew he was a male before 3 weeks
IMG_1633 (2).JPG IMG_1637 (2).JPG

I’m thinking that with the rising egg prices, it would be a good idea to increase the flock. I’d let one of the broodies in the spring hatch out some chicks. The Sprite girls crossed with the Spitz rooster will have chicks that are 3/4 Spitzhauben. Spritezzhauben‘s. I’m curious how that will turn out. If I can figure which eggs come from the non-broody Sprites, that would be ideal. I don’t really want more broody hens.

Shiphead my annoying head Male Spitzhauben got in trouble today. I had to grab one of my silver phoenix roosters because he was trying me. Well he cried a bit and after I put him down Shiphead decided I needed to be taught a lesson because of it. He had to watch two episodes of naked and afraid with me. Lol. He behaved the whole time and was back to respecting my space outside again.

20230219_124039.jpg

20230219_123857.jpg

Back
Top Bottom