splash coloring

Ok, so I am not sure exactly what I am doing here and have nothing but some hatchery chicks to work with but.

I believe I have a splash EE rooster.

His EE father had blue underfeathers with duckwing sort of coloring over the top and a golden silver hackles and head. Mother was a blue/wheaten type colored EE hen. She had blue "bloomers" with wheaten across her back and wings and tail and head.

We've also got two "blue" EE hens from a different source. One was solid lilac blue as a chick with a little orange "bleaching" on top of her head. Another was a dark cocoa color as a chick, again with that orange bleaching on top of her head.

As they've grown I think they are both splash. They've got lighter purpley blue with darker spotting all over them. With a light "dusting" of gold lace pattern across their wings and breasts over top of the blue base coloring.

I'm going to try and get good pictures of them later when my daughter gets home to help me. They're really tricky to get pictures that show their coloring accurately.

Anyway, I'm not going anywhere with this really long term. But was wondering, what would happen if I breed the splash rooster to the two splash hens?

I've also got a Buff Orpington, Black Orpington, White Leghorn, and both a Gold and Silver Sebright. As well as a Speckled Sussex and Welsummer.

What might be the result of breeding this splash rooster to the first birds listed just above? And I think the Speckled Sussex and Welsummer bred to him would turn out really funky.

Hi Katt

As I understand it, the easiest way to see if you truly have a splash bird is to breed them to a black. That cross would give all blue offspring.

If you breed splash to splash, you get all splash offspring.

I don't think your birds are a solid splash, with all those other EE colors thrown in the mix, but I think you could sure make some pretty chicks playing around with them. I have a hen similar to a blue wheaton also, I crossed her with a barred Rock rooster and got this pretty girl...

I don't know how splash and buff would work together. The leghorn would give you basically white birds with maybe some blue-ish spots/flecks, possibly just a bird that looks dirty all the time lol.

Have you played with the chicken calculator at all?

No I haven't. I'd actually forgotten all about it.
I know exactly what you mean about the bird that looks dirty all the time. This description e's my EE rooster actually. He's not quite white but sort of a dingy faded grayish white like dirty wash water. With a couple of sooty charcoal colored feathers in his hackles and tail.

I really do want to hatch some chicks from them just to see how they turn out.

Back
Top Bottom