Splash Muscovy

well, that didn't work out for posting the picture.
anyways, it does go to the picture on that first link.

Last edited:

Ah, there it is. sorry, I'm new here and fumbling around a bit. (I know it says edited with a sharpen tool, but really I just did a full image sharpen on low setting). This is a one year old splash hen, and I was just curious if anyone else was working on something similar, and if so would they mind sharing pics and which genetics they're using to get the splash.

Ah, there it is. sorry, I'm new here and fumbling around a bit. (I know it says edited with a sharpen tool, but really I just did a full image sharpen on low setting). This is a one year old splash hen, and I was just curious if anyone else was working on something similar, and if so would they mind sharing pics and which genetics they're using to get the splash.
Gorgeous Scovy wish we could see the whole bird.

thank you for the compliment. I wasn't going to put in a full photo because she was molting and throwing a fit about being handled so she's a tragic mess. Plus, the splash marks are pretty small and hard to see without being close up. But, here is as much of her as she'd let me photograph.

thank you for the compliment. I wasn't going to put in a full photo because she was molting and throwing a fit about being handled so she's a tragic mess. Plus, the splash marks are pretty small and hard to see without being close up. But, here is as much of her as she'd let me photograph.
Pretty! Is she going through her first molt?

No. You should have seen the poor thing in the spring molt. She looked positively plucked. I KNOW corn makes them molt harder, but they love it as a treat and I can't help myself; when they wag their tails I give in and throw the corn in the grass for them to hunt it. But, I was really hoping that someone else had, or was working on, true splash Muscovy. Not random black feathers but the little splash marks. On the big picture you can see that she has larger splash marks here and there, but the little marks are pretty evenly dispersed over the body of the bird. I like either variation, but mine are trending towards smaller marks.

I'd love to trade some notes on the relation of the splash to the self blue gene and whether or not any other combination is getting the splash. I have blue splash, cream splash, and light lavender splash. I'm fairly sure you can only get splash with self blue. But, in mine the splash marks are shrinking over the generations and I'd like to know if anyone has figured out how to keep the marks a little larger. Well, to be honest, I'd like to know if anyone else has splash at All.

Dot.

No. You should have seen the poor thing in the spring molt. She looked positively plucked. I KNOW corn makes them molt harder, but they love it as a treat and I can't help myself; when they wag their tails I give in and throw the corn in the grass for them to hunt it. But, I was really hoping that someone else had, or was working on, true splash Muscovy. Not random black feathers but the little splash marks. On the big picture you can see that she has larger splash marks here and there, but the little marks are pretty evenly dispersed over the body of the bird. I like either variation, but mine are trending towards smaller marks.

I'd love to trade some notes on the relation of the splash to the self blue gene and whether or not any other combination is getting the splash. I have blue splash, cream splash, and light lavender splash. I'm fairly sure you can only get splash with self blue. But, in mine the splash marks are shrinking over the generations and I'd like to know if anyone has figured out how to keep the marks a little larger. Well, to be honest, I'd like to know if anyone else has splash at All.

Dot.
Have you been on the Muscovy thread? right off i don't know of anyone doing splash but there are alot of dedicated Scovy lovers on that thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/130753/muscovy-keepers-share-your-pics/10250#post_14163614

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom