Splash Orpington???

MarinR

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 25, 2012
NH
Took above photo two weeks ago of what I was told was a splash Orpington pullet. She was not 100% on the sexing at the time but seemed sure of the breed. Feathers came in and still no color, except one little spot on the tip of one feather.... So does that make her splash, or do I have a white orp? Here she(?) is today.

That isn't splash. Looks white to me. Splashes are not bright white like that, more of a pearly color.

Seems really narrow-bodied for an Orp to me, but it has white skin so that would be right.

Below is an 8 week old Splash Orp cockerel--you can see the body type and the color difference from yours:

Here's one a bit older, different Orp line so lighter legs.

Last edited:
I agree. Not a splash, unfortunately. Maybe not even an orp?? If not an orp, what else could it be? And what are your thoughts on gender?

I'm not sure what else it would be. It has the white legs of an Orp, but not an Orp shape, as you can see from my own pics I posted. Orps are much more round.

How old is that bird? It looks male to me, but I can't really say until I get a better idea of the age.

At less than 12 weeks, that's a cockeral. It's white, not splash. And I agree, I don't see orpington in anything but the leg color. The body shape and feathering is quite off. I guess one parent could be an orp, but not a purebred. Or not purebreds that should be bred.

That's pretty much what I figured... Kind of a bummer. I like him but if I was going to have a rooster, this certainly isn't the one I would have chosen. Too bad. He's a nice chicken. :/

At less than 12 weeks, that's a cockeral. It's white, not splash. And I agree, I don't see orpington in anything but the leg color. The body shape and feathering is quite off. I guess one parent could be an orp, but not a purebred. Or not purebreds that should be bred.

That is a possibility, being a cross. Since white skin is dominant, could be a Rock/Orp cross that got the white skin, but the Rock body type.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom