Splash over White on Silkies, what color will hatch?

Bec

THE Delaware Blue Hen
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Home Of The Delaware Blue Hen
I have my first broody Silkie (by accident) I hadn't gotten to separating my whites from my B/B/S. So she is on 5 eggs and I don't know whose eggs belong to whom. But I have 1 white hen, 2 black hens, 1 splash hen, 1 splash rooster and a white rooster. I never see the white rooster breeding anyone, it is always the splash. What color will I get from the Splash roo breeding my white hen?

It is tough to predict.

There could be all kinds of things hiding under the white.

I would think you would get mostly mixed, back and blue with bleed through on most.

I would toss the current batch, separate them, wait three weeks, and then let them do their thing.

One thing about silkies, they will go broody again.

Quote:
Don't toss them!!!! Seriously??? Why not see what you get?

Yes, there could be surprises in chick colors -- very pleasant ones. If you sell silkie chicks, you could sell them to people looking for pet quality.

I think it's too late to take them now anyway, there is already development. I guess we will see what I get! I had read somewhere that the Paint silkies had come from a white and splash mix. That would be cool!

I say just wait and see
smile.png

Quote:
Only about 18 days until we find out! They are gorgeous SQ silkies so i am sure they will be pretty no matter what. And as mentioned above, If there are any mixies, I am sure someone will take them as pretty pets!

Back
Top Bottom