Splay legged chicks?

NO NOT AT ALL UNUSUAL. TAKE A BANDAID, CUT IT IN HALF LONG-WAYS.... USE IT TO WRAP AROUND BOTH THE BIRDS LEGS INDIVIDUALLY KEEPING THE ACTUAL WHITE PAD AS A SPACER--- WRAP 1 SIDE OF THE STICKY AROUND THE LEFT LEG AND THE OTHER SIDE OF THE STICKY AROUND THE RIGHT LEG AND HAVE THE ENDS OVERLAPPING THE WHITE PAD. SET THE LIL FELLERS BACK IN THE BROODER, USUALLY 24-72 HRS OF THIS CORRECTS THE PROBLEM. ALSO MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING SOME SORT OF MATERIAL FOR FLOORING/ BEDDING IN THE BROODER THEY CAN GET TRACTION ON--- PAPER TOWEL OR EVEN OUTDOOR CARPET WORKS GREAT. THE PAPER TOWEL CAN BE TRASHED WHEN DIRTY THE CARPET CAN BE CLEANED AND RE-USED... SO LONG AS THEY CAN GET A GOOD GRIP ON IT. I HAVE A BUNCH OF OLD WHITE HOSPITAL TOWELS I USE FOR THE 1ST WEEK, THEY WORK GREAT.

HOPE THIS HELPS!

Hi there, never had georgia giants, but I'll give my 2 cents.

The bandaids will work, but it is somewhat difficult to hold their tiny legs enough to tape them. You can try putting them on wire, that has straightened out my buttons before. I think it works better (wire) for curled toes, but if the legs aren't too bad it will fix them too.

But the bandaids will work, just hold on tight to them!

I had a chick with this & I put Scott tape on it. I had other things to do so I put it in the side of the brooder away from the other chicks & returned a few hours later. When I looked in the brooder it had gotten the tape off one leg & was running all over the brooder.

pop.gif

Quote:
THATS INTERESTING.... NEVER HEARD OF IT BEING A GENETIC THING, ITS USUALLY FROM WEAK MUSCLES IN THE LEGS AT OR SHORTLY AFTER HATCHING, OR FROM THEM SPENDING TOO MUCH TIME AT A VERY EARLY AGE ON A SMOOTH SURFACE THAT PROVIDES NO TRACTION, AND SINCE THE MUSCLES ARE BABY MUSCLES THE CANNOT SUPPORT THE BABY UNLESS THEY CAN GET FOOT TRACTION, OR A COMBO OF BOTH--- THATS WHY THE BANDAID THING FIXES THEM--- A LIL QUAIL PHYSICAL THERAPY SESSION IF YOU WILL, GIVES THEM SUPPORT AND LIMITS RANGE OF MOTION SO THE MUSCLES CAN CONTRACT AND STRENGTHEN ENOUGH TO SUPPORT THE LIL FELLERS' WIEGHT. IF IT'S GOING TO WORK IT USUALLY DOESNT TAKE MORE THAN 24 HRS OR SO...

Back
Top Bottom