Splayed Leg Help

jesus freak

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 20, 2011
Idaho
Hello,
I have two bantam chicks that are about 2 months old and have splayed legs. The first one is still walking and can get around pretty good so I haven't done anything with him and he just kind of walks a little weird but the second one I had to put vet wrap on his legs because his legs kept slipping out from under him and he doesn't seem to be making any progress. Does anyone know what could have caused this and how to keep helping? I was thinking maybe a nutritional deficiency because they were hatched under a hen and they weren't like this as chicks but if it is I don't know what to give them for it. Let me know if you need more information. Thanks!

Hello,
I have two bantam chicks that are about 2 months old and have splayed legs. The first one is still walking and can get around pretty good so I haven't done anything with him and he just kind of walks a little weird but the second one I had to put vet wrap on his legs because his legs kept slipping out from under him and he doesn't seem to be making any progress. Does anyone know what could have caused this and how to keep helping? I was thinking maybe a nutritional deficiency because they were hatched under a hen and they weren't like this as chicks but if it is I don't know what to give them for it. Let me know if you need more information. Thanks!

Have they had splayed leg since hatch? Or just recently? I would add some vitamins asap. I use the non-iron baby drops (about 1/2 dropper per two birds in a quart waterer, but you could up that to a whole dropper since they might be exhibiting a niacin deficiency).

At two months it's going to be hard to correct, but perhaps you could bend a thick rubber band into a figure 8 and slip each opening over a foot and up over the hock.

Yeah they just recently got splayed legs so that's why I was thinking it was a deficiency. Is there a specific name for the drops?

Back
Top Bottom