Splayed leg problem

They do splay out to the side, I'll add the bandaid tonight to his/her legs and see if that helps. The biggest thing that worries/bothers me and that he's still not holding up his head for more than a few seconds.

They do splay out to the side, I'll add the bandaid tonight to his/her legs and see if that helps. The biggest thing that worries/bothers me and that he's still not holding up his head for more than a few seconds.

How old is the little cutie? I had one earlier this summer that didn't stand at all until it was 4 days old. He didn't drink until the 5th day or eat until the 6th day, but he did come around and your's looks much better than he did.

Well don't know if it will have to be culled. really hard time wobbling as legs don't work and looks like curled toes.

I attempted bandaid to pull legs together above and below the bend. Then I used a few more to go around the body and hold the feet under. (two bandaids with one end of one with protective paper on to prevent down damage. sticky end of second stuck to uncovered end and on around back to meet foot bandaid between toes.) The I used a cut egg carton as a support.... pushed it near enough to reach both food and water and enable it to lay its head on the side of food cover. If the other will leave it alone maybe this will help. Tail was sprayed with BlueKote due to redness and possible sore. Hope that will keep the other from pecking. So far when I reach in for the sick one the healthy chick charges my hand. The ill one was managing to scoot away if the healthy one pecked it so I am hoping my attempt to help it doesn't imobilize to the point the healthy one starts attacking.

Praying.....

Using some ceramic little ones (had for company for first hatched) as counter weight to prevent tipping. Every so often been tipping the beak into water and trying to get watery food on bill too.

Not real hopeful but it is trying to survive.

Well don't know if it will have to be culled. really hard time wobbling as legs don't work and looks like curled toes.

I attempted bandaid to pull legs together above and below the bend. Then I used a few more to go around the body and hold the feet under. (two bandaids with one end of one with protective paper on to prevent down damage. sticky end of second stuck to uncovered end and on around back to meet foot bandaid between toes.) The I used a cut egg carton as a support.... pushed it near enough to reach both food and water and enable it to lay its head on the side of food cover. If the other will leave it alone maybe this will help. Tail was sprayed with BlueKote due to redness and possible sore. Hope that will keep the other from pecking. So far when I reach in for the sick one the healthy chick charges my hand. The ill one was managing to scoot away if the healthy one pecked it so I am hoping my attempt to help it doesn't imobilize to the point the healthy one starts attacking.

Praying.....

If it is splayed legs he will need a hobble brace, use the pad in the center of a normal bandaid as your spacer. That's how close the legs should be, this one is a little far apart, but you should get the idea.

If he has curled toes get chick shoes on the feet ASAP, or they will stay that way. Both of these things will usually correct problems in about 3 days.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/471771/chick-shoes

Good luck with him.
hugs.gif

I did that and it just fell over and screamed with legs stretched out ....thence the body brace and clear egg carton to coddle it. Somehow it got out during night and screamed... trying to move.

Now it holds its head up a slight slight tad longer. But the bandaid was loosening so I cut the pad (leaving it on) and it is now attempting to pull the legs under but gets exhausted and ends up plopping with one leg behind and one forward where before they were out to each side. But if I cup my fingers loosly around the body it does try to hop or walk and gets quiet if I just keep it cradled like that. Now the other just stands by my hand as if it now recognizes I am trying to help its neighbor. But it sometimes just walks across or stands ON the little thing. When I too the body band off it did turn its head to peck and yell at the offending like "GET off" and manages to move away. Last night for the first time they slept butt to butt.

I am beginning to wonder if it is the hips or tendons there. Going to attempt some kind of body brace after my volunteer work distributing groceries to needy. Not enough time now. I want to be here to monitor when I do it. Toes do seem better now. I did the bandaid shoes until they fell off. (Other chick helped in the coming off);)

I did that and it just fell over and screamed with legs stretched out ....thence the body brace and clear egg carton to coddle it. Somehow it got out during night and screamed... trying to move.

Now it holds its head up a slight slight tad longer. But the bandaid was loosening so I cut the pad (leaving it on) and it is now attempting to pull the legs under but gets exhausted and ends up plopping with one leg behind and one forward where before they were out to each side. But if I cup my fingers loosly around the body it does try to hop or walk and gets quiet if I just keep it cradled like that. Now the other just stands by my hand as if it now recognizes I am trying to help its neighbor. But it sometimes just walks across or stands ON the little thing. When I too the body band off it did turn its head to peck and yell at the offending like "GET off" and manages to move away. Last night for the first time they slept butt to butt.

I am beginning to wonder if it is the hips or tendons there. Going to attempt some kind of body brace after my volunteer work distributing groceries to needy. Not enough time now. I want to be here to monitor when I do it. Toes do seem better now. I did the bandaid shoes until they fell off. (Other chick helped in the coming off)
wink.png

How old is it? I had a Peachick last year that couldn't walk or hold it's head up for several days, he had curled toes and splayed legs and every other issue possible, but after 6 days he actually came around and did well. We hobbled, shoed, chick chaired and everything else and it did help.

Bluebird, don't worry if the chick screams and falls over with legs out once you tape them together. That's common but usually within a day they learn to pull those feet under them and hobble around. It's amazing! Just don't let other chick peck on the wee one.

Back
Top Bottom