Splayed leg problem

Bad iPad!...lol.

I found a this pic so think I'll go try building one...thanks tons Kathy!

chick%20chair.jpg

O...I just looked at your sling! I like that much better...it looks so much kinder to the bird. Ok...off to give it a try.

I just got a little peachick tonight with a splayed leg and I've never worked with this before. I made a splint out of a cut up nerf bullet...they're basically a foam tube. I cut a length just big enough to go from the ankle to barely over the leg joint, then I opened the tube length wise and used a band aid to hold it closed.

This is what it looks like on....sorry I didn't get pictures of before. The leg was splayed out to the side and the chick couldn't stand. It was using its joint to hold its weight and the joint felt popped out.
If I understand correctly, it was like that for a couple of days with help being given to try to correct the problem.
When I take the brace off, his joint seems to stay popped into the right position for a bit so I do think the brace is keeping it aligned right.

Does this look/sound like it should work to fix the chicks leg? I tried several other things I read about first and I was failing miserably at getting the joint to stay in the right position. Is this kind of treatment correct for this kind of problem or is there something different I should do since its definitely the chicks joint thats not right. The joint just doesn't line up properly...the lower bone turns the wrong way, like the tendons aren't working right. Its easy to make it turn the right way, and it doesn't hurt the chick to straighten it...it just pops apart though if the chick tries to stand on it unless it has support it keep it aligned right. I'm used to splayed leg in parrots being from sitting on slick surfaces etc...this is definitely not that kinda splayed leg. Is this joint problem what typically causes splayed legs in peachicks and does it usually heal ok with the right support?

It sure sounds like a slipped tendon. If your splint is working, I think I would continue with it. It needs to be kept in place until it grows enough or is strong enough to keep it there itself.

Well...I give up on a sling for tonight. I know how important those first days are for the legs and feet...but I'm too tired to think straight and the poor baby thinks my sling efforts are just a reason to thrash and struggle with all its might. It likes the rolled towel only as long as I stay with it, and the more constrictive sling makes it struggle so hard that I'm afraid it'll do more harm.

So for now the brace will have to be enough and hopefully tomorrow I can figure out how to get the whole sling thing to work.

I'd love any more sling ideas if any one has some? I've tried 3 different styles and no luck so far. Is there a trick to keep them calm in a sling?

On the good side...I removed the brace to make sure the joint was still right and it was...the little guy even stood on it normally while I cut a new band aid to size for the brace. So I'm going to cross my fingers and go get some sleep!

How's the baby doing? I've got a similar situation with one of mine right now.It has the crooked neck, swollen belly, spraddle leg and curled toes. Even my kids told me to cull it but I just can't seem to not give it a chance.

Shes doing great
smile.png
I never did get a sling to work...but I got lucky and the nerf bullet splint did the trick for her. I just lost a sweet little black shoulder I was given that had 2 bad joints. The splints seemed to work for it also...it could stand and walk with the splints on...unfortunately it just wouldn't eat. Its one joint had some internal damage (blood under the skin...just a tad) and I think it was in too much pain to care about eating. I'm the same on trying...its just too hard for me to not try if I can. Good luck with your little one!

Heres the little girl from above now:

Shes doing great
smile.png
I never did get a sling to work...but I got lucky and the nerf bullet splint did the trick for her. I just lost a sweet little black shoulder I was given that had 2 bad joints. The splints seemed to work for it also...it could stand and walk with the splints on...unfortunately it just wouldn't eat. Its one joint had some internal damage (blood under the skin...just a tad) and I think it was in too much pain to care about eating. I'm the same on trying...its just too hard for me to not try if I can. Good luck with your little one!

Heres the little girl from above now:

clap.gif
So happy for her and sorry to hear about your BS one.

This is my Peahead but my husband calls him/her Lt. Dan. He actually took about 3 steps last night!

It's adorable and the splint job looks great!
It's hard to tell but are its legs splayed out to the side as well? If they are, then you could try adding a bandaid cut in half lengthwise to it...so that the bandaid pulls the legs together under the bird just enough to mimic the natural leg position. A thin half bandaid gives the chick a better chance of being able to walk......it's just less cumbersome.
Love the Lt. Dan name! Maybe some BubbaGump shrimp would be a perfect treat for it! ;)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom