Splayed leg.

HappyDuckie

🙄🤚 Almighty Queen of Orplingtons 🥶🙏💙
Sep 30, 2020
The Bermuda Triangle
My broody hatched some chicks a few days ago, and one hadn't left from under her, which concerned me since all the others had. I took said chick inside last night and discovered she has a splayed leg. She can hardly walk, and when she does she drags her leg behind her. Is it too late to correct? She is almost two days old. Any help is appreciated!
@MGG

My broody hatched some chicks a few days ago, and one hadn't left from under her, which concerned me since all the others had. I took said chick inside last night and discovered she has a splayed leg. She can hardly walk, and when she does she drags her leg behind her. Is it too late to correct? She is almost two days old. Any help is appreciated!
@MGG
Aww! Can you get a pic? It may actually be a slipped tendon. Post pics of her hock too.

Aww! Can you get a pic? It may actually be a slipped tendon. Post pics of her hock too.
I can't take any pictures- but after searching "splayed leg" it looks just like this. (pic from the internet)
1618325706320.png

I can't take any pictures- but after searching "splayed leg" it looks just like this. (pic from the internet)
View attachment 2614068
Ok, well, here is what I do for splayed leg. Get a regular sized bandaid. I use the ones without latex just to be safe. Cut it in half lengthwise, so that you have 2 long strips. Take one of the strips, and take the back off. The middle of the bandaid should be right between the chick's legs. Wrap one end around the chick's leg while it's standing in a normal position (hold it up) and stick the bandaid to itself around the leg. Then do the same on the other side. The extra strip you can replace this one with later. You'll have to brood it inside until the legs are better because it'll be clumsy as heck with the bandaid on.

Ok, well, here is what I do for splayed leg. Get a regular sized bandaid. I use the ones without latex just to be safe. Cut it in half lengthwise, so that you have 2 long strips. Take one of the strips, and take the back off. The middle of the bandaid should be right between the chick's legs. Wrap one end around the chick's leg while it's standing in a normal position (hold it up) and stick the bandaid to itself around the leg. Then do the same on the other side. The extra strip you can replace this one with later. You'll have to brood it inside until the legs are better because it'll be clumsy as heck with the bandaid on.
Ok, thanks! I'll do that in a moment.

Just put it on. How long do I leave it?
Did you bring the chick inside? If so, can I see a pic of the splint? I regret never taking pics of mine when I did it, but I wasn't on BYC then so it never even crossed my mind.
Leave it on until tomorrow, then take it off and see how she looks. If her legs still bow out at all, do the splint for another day (you can use the other bandaid piece from the one you cut)

Did you bring the chick inside? If so, can I see a pic of the splint? I regret never taking pics of mine when I did it, but I wasn't on BYC then so it never even crossed my mind.
Leave it on until tomorrow, then take it off and see how she looks. If her legs still bow out at all, do the splint for another day (you can use the other bandaid piece from the one you cut)
Yes, she's been inside since last night. I'll have to take a pic later.
Will do! Thanks for all of your help!

Having been in a similar situation I just want to add my chick hated the splint and could not walk with it but not trying to fix it will be worse!
It can't walk at the moment well anyway, so make sure it keeps the splint on to correct the leg position.
Try to get it to eat even if it cannot walk. Eating is crucial for it to make it.

Yeah, when they have the splint on they don't walk much. They do a lot of laying around. Mine still managed to eat and drink though.
@HappyDuckie , I just remembered. Make sure that the water dish is super shallow. I used a quail water fount when I taped mine. They will drown SUPER easily with those splints on.

Back
Top Bottom