Can She Lay Eggs???

m2wandc

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 19, 2009
One of my chicks either broke her leg or hip (I’m not sure) we have been nursing her and this is the final result (see photos)

She’s not quite to egg laying age yet, but soon…she seems to walk and sit clumsy but fine as long as she’s separated from her siblings that trample her.

I do put her in a larger run with one or two siblings for exercise and companionship, but she’s also living life in a dog crate when we have busy days and can’t continually check on her.

Soooo long story short I’m not sure if she will live a long life or not as a handicap bird….and we will be fine either way…

What I’m concerned about and questioning is: once she starts laying eggs is there anything I should watch for?

Do you think with splayed legs like she has that it will hinder her egg laying? I don’t want her to suffer.

Attachments

• 7114E0C1-D475-4FBC-AC83-40AF0723980B.jpeg
    7114E0C1-D475-4FBC-AC83-40AF0723980B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • B2A30EC2-81D2-4D2F-98FA-8663784D366A.jpeg
    B2A30EC2-81D2-4D2F-98FA-8663784D366A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • EAB957A1-47C9-4A71-9115-4AF2B4582E92.jpeg
    EAB957A1-47C9-4A71-9115-4AF2B4582E92.jpeg
    727.9 KB · Views: 8
Hoping someone knows if laying will be a problem or if there’s anything we can do to give her a longer more comfy life.

One of my chicks either broke her leg or hip (I’m not sure) we have been nursing her and this is the final result (see photos)

She’s not quite to egg laying age yet, but soon…she seems to walk and sit clumsy but fine as long as she’s separated from her siblings that trample her.

I do put her in a larger run with one or two siblings for exercise and companionship, but she’s also living life in a dog crate when we have busy days and can’t continually check on her.

Soooo long story short I’m not sure if she will live a long life or not as a handicap bird….and we will be fine either way…

What I’m concerned about and questioning is: once she starts laying eggs is there anything I should watch for?

Do you think with splayed legs like she has that it will hinder her egg laying? I don’t want her to suffer.
Did anyone ever answer you? I have a six month hen with a splayed leg and I'm wondering if it will be able to lay an egg. Her 3 other hen mates. One is her mother pick on her too. They shun her. I feel bad.

Did anyone ever answer you? I have a six month hen with a splayed leg and I'm wondering if it will be able to lay an egg. Her 3 other hen mates. One is her mother pick on her too. They shun her. I feel bad.
Welcome To BYC

I don't think anyone can really say yes or no. Sometimes chickens with leg deformities can also have other developmental issues internally as well.
The best answer I could give you is, you'll have to wait and see how it goes. She may produce and lay eggs just fine.

If you have photos of your pullet you wish to share, they are always welcome.

Update - my handicap chicken (dark Brahma) is full grown and well past egg laying age, but I have no idea if she lays or not 🤷🏼‍♀️ she is the low hen on the Totum pole, but someone has to fill that spot.

I do on occasion find an egg loose in the run rather then the nesting boxes and I’ve wondered if it’s hers?

My rooster passed away recently (he was SUPER OLD…at least 10 years old) and so now I’m on the hunt for a small friendly rooster that won’t crush her. Like a silkie or bantam of sorts.

I have a hen 11 months old. Born with straddle leg. She is living a healthy life with 14 other hens. However I do not know if she is laying eggs. I get 9 to 13 eggs a day. And I always find 1 or 2 on the ground. I’m hoping one of those are hers. I call her Brutus because she was destined to survive.

Back
Top Bottom