splayed legs or???

Discussion in 'Quail' started by calcifer, Dec 24, 2016.

1. calcifer

calcifer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2015
    Hello a few of my chicks seem to be having legs problems.I didnt cradle the eggs this time so the chicks spent the first 14 hours after hatching walking on other eggs in my brinsea advance(my stupidity)

Problem 1. four seem to have there legs at a forward angle almost like there knees wont behave and they sit on there tails when there not walking/wattling.( they just seem awkward/different but are otherwise healthy see pic 2 and 4)

Problem 2.I think one of my chicks has splayed legs but this will be my first time dealing with splayed leg problems so im not sure, his legs are splayed to each side and Backwards so he flails on his stomach and back with his legs back and to each side. I habled him a few hours ago which seems to help but he keeps falling forwards with his legs behind his tail. see pics 1 and 3
    what should i do[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I've only raised chicks a few times but pics 2 and 4 appear normal to me :)

Maybe try making the tape thinner so he can move his legs individually?

You look like you're on the right track - except for when he does pic 3. If he keeps at that, I would sit him proper in a glass with paper towel cupped and take him out to feed and drink every hour til he gets strength back in his legs to keep them under.

3. calcifer

calcifer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2015
    ok thanks m leg strength but just abey ill try the cup idea, he seems to have some leg strength but keep trying to jump forward every time i put him on his feet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by