Split beak: Do beaks heal? Advice please.

GreenHaven

Chirping
Apr 17, 2023
Pacific Northwest
I have a hen whose beak has a split right up the middle. It doesn’t seem to be bothering her (I watched her eat this mornin) but it could get worse, so I am wonder if I should attempt to superglue it along the split for now. This hen is brooding and I think she’s been fighting with one of the other hens who was trying to lay in her nest. (I marked her eggs so I think she won that battle but injured the beak.
I know beaks grow - but I don’t know if they heal. Im hoping someone with more experience might be able to advise…

If the split doesn't go too far (hasn't reached the quick) you can also try filing it back with an emery board, to reduce the amount of split so that hopefully it won't worsen while it grows out. You may need to file it every few weeks as it grows out, until no split is visible anymore.

If the beak is severely split, I would carefully superglue it - this is a two person job.
Thank you. It is like a hairline fracture - I think superglue would insure that it doesn't get worse. I will recruit someone to hold her while I do it. Should I use anything (like the tea bag repair) if it has pulled apart?

If the split doesn't go too far (hasn't reached the quick) you can also try filing it back with an emery board, to reduce the amount of split so that hopefully it won't worsen while it grows out. You may need to file it every few weeks as it grows out, until no split is visible anymore.
Yikes - I didn't even realize there was a quick in the beak, so thank you so much for making me aware. I'll look closely - but it does go up (tiny crack) pretty far. I will examine her more closely tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom