Split beek

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Little Dragons, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Little Dragons

Little Dragons Out Of The Brooder

Hi, I need some help. This little chick was born earlier this morning. I was wondering if there is any way I could help fix his beek. [​IMG][/IMG]

2. Little Dragons

[​IMG]

3. Tolbunt

Tolbunt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2015
    I know I have some hens like that but I could not find a cure for it. I would say you should leave it. If you are not that attached to the chick you should cull it. But wait for more replies. Good luck

4. Halloweengirl13

Halloweengirl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Valdosta Ga
    That's pretty severe scissor beak for so young. I had one that had it but it was barely noticeable that early and got worse when she got older. She did pretty good but hers wasn't that bad even when she was grown. I think I have to agree with the previous comment. It will be hard for her to eat like that if not impossible on her own.

5. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    I have never had a cross beak yet. There are many who do. They are special needs chickens. They can live but they do need special feeding and watering. Obviously, you wouldn't want to breed it but it is up to you to keep or cull.[​IMG]

6. Little Dragons

she seems pretty determined to live, so I'm going to let her live and see what happens. Plus she was a classroom hatch and the kids really want to see her grow up. they already named her, Phantom of The SNACS. I want to do as much as i can for her, I wont cull unless it is obvious that she is dying from malnutrition. she can drink water on her own.

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    That's a good candidate for fermented feed. Or at least moistened crumbles. It will make it much, much easier for it to get the nutrients it needs.

But do consider FF. It's superior to dry feed, and this little guy could have a reasonably normal life.

8. Little Dragons

Ok, thanks. How do i make fermented feed?

9. shorttimer

shorttimer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2014
    Morro Bay, Ca
    Lots of FF threads on here. Do a search. Hope it's a survivor.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  10. Halloweengirl13

Halloweengirl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Valdosta Ga
    With our Igor we gave her soft foods and kept her in our chick pen, she never seemed to have issues drinking and she loved watermelon. And being with the babies kept her from being bullied by the bigger less special needs chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by