1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Split chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sara, Aug 7, 2008.

1. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Yesterday I hatched 16 little lavXblack split Ameraucana chicks . I am thrilled with them, and can't wait for them to grow out so my lavender boys have some ladies.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ETA: That little lavender chick didn't come from these eggs, it's a bantam. I forgot it was in there. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Woo hoo!

Make sure you mark those babies so you don't throw them in with the blacks..... [​IMG]

Did you get one lavender birdie in the back there????

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  3. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Yep, they have their own coop waiting for them seperate from the blacks.

Nah, that little one is one of my bantams. It was a left over egg from a broody that I threw in the bator to hatch. [​IMG]

4. Shaffer

Shaffer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Tamaqua, NE Pa
    Sara,
    The pullets from them should increase your size to the needed standard size and they should have good muffs and beards. I still have some hatching under some broody hens right now. I really only needed 4 or 5 five for next year. You should have more pullets than you need if they hatched 50/50. I wish I would have hatched them in Jan instead of now since I got that nice male that hatched this year. Maybe you will compete at the shows next year. You may want to say something on the Ameraucana site since they need 5 breeders for 5 years to have them admitted into the APA. I really don't know what documentation is needed to prove they had the need 5 for 5 years. HS

5. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Harry,
    That's a good point, I'll have to post that on the Ameraucana board. Of course first I have to get NPIP because I was reading that you need that to show at the PA farm show, which is where I figured I would try and take them.

Sara

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Cute chicks Sara. [​IMG]

7. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Ooooooooh [​IMG]

8. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey Sara nice hatch [​IMG] ...Great job [​IMG] ...You still setting any araucana eggs yet?? [​IMG]

1. Sara
    2. Harry
    3 John B
    4 [​IMG]
    5 [​IMG]
    Over half way there now to do it..Im sure one else will step into those shoes to help out.. [​IMG]

Thanks
    Charlie

9. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I do have some araucana eggs in my bator, but I think these are my final ones. After some tough choices I think I am going to stop working on them to concentrate on other things. Who knows, maybe I'll just keep one small pen for fun. I just don't have enough space.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by