Split Comb... :|

Celtic Hill

Songster
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
Scotland CT
Okay so we got a pair of buff orps for my brother from a reputable breeder, and the cockrel has a split comb! I was wondering if split combs are genetic traits or what? If he matures nicely i would keep him as a breeder (if it isn't a gentic thing) but if it is im going to have to get rid of him because im not keeping a roo that isn't BQ

Are you sure he's a buff orp? There are breeds that have a split comb like you describe. I think buttercup is the name for it, but don't recall for sure. Can you post a pic?

I will get one tomorrow, and it's deff a buff orp, the guy that we got them from is a really well known breeder, these eggs were hached from shipped eggs so there might have been a mix up, idk.

It is really hard to say without a pic.
hmm.png

I would say not to judge this bird too quickly. Based upon the photos I'd say that the rear portion of his blade is telescoped inward and should pop out as he matures. If it stays telescoped, then I wouldn't use him for breeding. I raise a couple different large fowl breeds that I've seen this on and they inevitably pop out as the bird matures. I don't think it's a split comb based upon the pictures. Look at the diagrams in the Standard of Perfection for a good example of a split comb. To answer your question about whether a split comb is genetic/hereditary....yes, very much so, right along with side sprigs, and definitely something you don't want to introduce in a line of exhibition poultry. You said these Orps come from a well known breeder so I'd recommend giving him some time to mature. I don't think it's a split comb. I could be wrong, but the second photo leads me to think it's just telescoped in.

Agree with the previous poster. If it stays in that position on the rear of the comb, we call it a kicker or side sprig. Definitely would not use that for breeding single comb birds. Sorry for the confusion with the 'split comb' interpretation.

Back
Top Bottom