1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Split Crest?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Messica, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Messica

Messica Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2016
    Minnesota
    [​IMG]

I've only ever seen crested ducks, never crested ducklings. One of my runners is crested, but it's split, almost like pigtails. Is that normal (as normal as a genetic deformation can be) or will it eventually turn into one boof?

(Picture was taken after swimming so it's really fluffy, there is an actual split between the two boof's)

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I'm not sure...;).....My friend has crested Buffs and the one only has half of a crest on its head....The other one has a huge ball on its head.... Cute little Duck though...:) Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  3. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I don't know much about crested ducks. From what I understand the crests grow where there is a soft spot on the skull. My guess would be that your duckling has two separate soft spots instead of one big spot. It does look pretty darn cute.

1 person likes this.
  4. WendyK

WendyK Just Hatched

Feb 24, 2017
    I have 5 crested Khaki Campbells and they all have different crests. One is 9 weeks and the rest are 7 weeks. One of my girls has a side piece that sticks out, so she's named Feathers. Her crest made me think of a hat with feathers. Another has just a little crest, so my daughter named her Sprinkles. One has a huge crest, so she's named Cotton. Then we have Dandy and Frosting. I will try to get a picture of them tomorrow and post for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by