Split pea soup

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 7L Farm, Oct 11, 2010.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I have a few cans of split pea soup with ham & bacon madeby Campell's. Can I feed it to my girls?

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I bet they'll love it, just feed a little at a time though, not all the cans at once...VERY salty...

3. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    I don't see why not, split pea soup already canned has been cooked..but knowing me and I was in your shoes, I would be reading the ingredients to make sure there was nothing in there that would be toxic to chickens. a few days a ago while I was filling my daughter backpack full of canned and dry goods for the school food drive I found 2 cans of sardines, I wasn't sure if I could feed them to them so I looked it up, and then yesterday while I was sure it would be ok I researched zucchini and celery...lol....I am always afraid to give them something new without really looking into it. I guess its because I have had one really bad experience with a pet.

4. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:I have 10 birds. I was gonna give them 1 can .

5. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT

I'd say that'd be fine! Maybe use a couple of pie pans or something scattered about, so they can all get to it, without just a few birds hogging it all! [​IMG] Not that chickens would EVER do that, of course! LOL [​IMG]

6. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas

I'd say that'd be fine! Maybe use a couple of pie pans or something scattered about, so they can all get to it, without just a few birds hogging it all! [​IMG] Not that chickens would EVER do that, of course! LOL [​IMG]

Mine fight over it at first but they finally give in & they all get some. Well, I did give it to them & they liked it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by