Spoiled Chicks... Do they even know they are chickens? (pictures)

its fine lol but yeah, totally just thought she was growing in faster, her tail is still short and stubby like my other 2? does that make any difference lol
maybe she is a roo lol i guess ill have to wait as time goes on lol and thanks, ruby is so cute and i really enjoy that they like me so much haha! they are so inquisitive and its cute

well, its looking pretty official that ruby is probably a rudy! that would be okay though because we dont have any roosters (my gma had a pretty mean one i guess, so she doesnt have any right now) but if shes a rooster then HE would be looking after 10 hens...

here is a video of "ruby"

that is, if my little barred rock isnt a rooster too. we will see but his tail sure is growing out long and verticle! but so far the 2 barred (which were straight run, so its a mysteryyyy!) both still have yellow combs, just one of their tails is alot more verticle..
this is pepper... not to change the subject..

Last edited:
ummmm yes Ruby is a boy...gonna be a handsome dude too.
hide.gif

I have tons of them that are spoiled rotten and 2 that, could they speak English, would tell you they are not chickens but they are people who wear funny feathery clothes. So, do not ever expect yours to be anything BUT spoiled, they only get worse...trust me! Examples:

Meet Zena (Splash Orpington)

and Junebug (Delawegger i.e. Delaware X)

Together they can be a lap full!

Suddenly the delusions of grandeur kick in and they think they can run for President.....

Some of the spoiled rotten beasts (oldest is going on 5 years and youngest is about 6 months old)

There is nothing wrong with having a rooster. However, you will have to get more hens for him so that means more chickens for you!

This:

Turned into this:

Get ready for the crowing!

I have the same problem, I cant have a Roo because I am moving and have neighbors! I am new to raising chickens, after waiting 5 yrs of wanting to start we finally bought our own place and are waiting to move in (hopefully this coming week). I got a couple of chicks to start out and has soon has we get moved in I am going to pick up some more, unfortuatley I lost one. So I am down to a Dominque and a unknown Bantam. I am not going to have a large flock but I do want to get some more, just have to wait. I am afraid that the Dominque will end up being a roo, which i hope not cause then I will have to trade him back for a hen I have named him Angel cause well it could be a male or female name. How did you get them to be so friendly? I hope that mine enjoy my attention has much as your do. I handle them daily and let them free roam around the house, with my supervision of course.Any tips on making sure they are social like yours?

Oh my gosh!!! I am so glad I found this post...I have 12 rotten ones like your 3...cant wait to show this to my husband!! I have been wanting to upload some pictures but cant get my phone to be link with my computer

haha oh my goodness, i garuntee you when my chicks get full sized they will be doing the same thing! thats hilarious that shes laying her head on your shoulder lol

how many hens is a good number for one rooster??
if ruby is the only rooster then he will have 10 hens to himself...
that is if the little rock doesnt turn to be a rooster too. so far i think just ruby..

10 hens to one roo is a good number, usually that means little to no over mating. Orpingtons and roos in general are very much individuals, he will have his favorite girls but he will take care of them as a group too. Some roos are pretty laid back breeders and others are aggressive breeders and need more hens but 10 should be about perfect. My big Orp has 8 steady girls and a couple others, a couple never get mated but his 8 steady girls he mates regularly.

Thanks for the chuckle...my girls are rotten they hug my daughter (in the pictures) and me constantly...others will pick at you until you pick them up and they are generally a fun mess. hahahahaha

Back
Top Bottom