1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

sponges for hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dustponds10, Feb 11, 2011.

1. dustponds10

dustponds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    What sponges do you all use for hatching? Does it matter? I have a cabinet incubator and its my first time.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I would try first to see if you can get your humidity up without sponges. If you live in a dry climate though, use them from the start. Just regular old generic sponges. I prefer pink. [​IMG]

3. HenMaster

HenMaster Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I use the cheap Wal-mart ones.

4. chickensNpoodles

chickensNpoodles Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2010
    I use the Cello brand sponges and had great luck with them. I didn't use sponges this last time and I have to cull alot of eggs so far because they were quitters. My next hatch I will go get some new sponges. One tip that I would like to suggest is to sterlize your sponges every other day either by boiling them in a pot of water, or steaming them in the microwave for 2 minutes. That keeps them clean and bacteria free.

5. Roscoe Red

Roscoe Red Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2011
    When I use a sponge ,I try to position it below a small vent hole in the top so I can add water with a straw and NOT open during lockdown. I take 3 straws and insert them into each other,then I take a forth straw cut a angle on one end insert it in a bottle of water put my finger over the end to hold the water in it and release it into the other straws ,works great.

6. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    Quote:i do this too in my Lg Still air but i use a meat flavor injector with 8 inches of aquarium tybing added for length. the flavor injector was 1.00 at walmart. it holds a full ounce of water so you can even measure the water. if you have ocd:D i can even stuck water out of water channels if i put in too much.

7. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Try to find sponges that are as porous as possible - not densely packed. Humidity comes from the evaporation of the water - and is in direct proportion to the SURFACE AREA. So the more porous the sponge, the greater the surface area, and humidity levels will be better.
    Scotch has a new kitchen sponge out - made of natural fibers. (It's the tan one.) That's what I used last year - worked fine. I also boil mine as others suggested - just to make sure they are as sterile as possible.

8. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:I go to Menard's Home center and buy humidifier filters.. then I cut them into whatever size I want and put them into the water pan with about 1/4 inch sticking above the surface of the water..

9. dustponds10

dustponds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Sounds good all. Thank you for all your suggestions. I think I am going to see what i can get it tobefore I add a sponge but probably will just end up putting one in on lock down anyways.

10. bkwurth

bkwurth Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Quote:i do this too in my Lg Still air but i use a meat flavor injector with 8 inches of aquarium tybing added for length. the flavor injector was 1.00 at walmart. it holds a full ounce of water so you can even measure the water. if you have ocd:D i can even stuck water out of water channels if i put in too much.

I haven't used it yet, this is my first hatch. And I think I read it on here somewhere. I bought a tube for a fish tank and a small funnel in the craft department at wal-mart. Sounds easy enough, hope it works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by