Spontaneous death? !explicit!

Chickenman94

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 16, 2012
I'm sorry if this is the wrong section, but I just came home after my hens being in the run all day and my cochin is dead in the corner, mostly just bones and feathers. Feathers are only around her and not over the rest of the run. And my other hens are packing at the remains. I dont see any signs of a break-in and only that one hen even seems like was affected. The coop is uncovered so I cant be 100% sure, but could this be an inside job? Is that normal. They are all hens and all the same age.

I'm sorry if this is the wrong section, but I just came home after my hens being in the run all day and my cochin is dead in the corner, mostly just bones and feathers. Feathers are only around her and not over the rest of the run. And my other hens are packing at the remains. I dont see any signs of a break-in and only that one hen even seems like was affected. The coop is uncovered so I cant be 100% sure, but could this be an inside job? Is that normal. They are all hens and all the same age.
It could be an inside job.
How much space do you have, how many hens and what are you feeding them?

This is the best I can do right now as it is now dark out

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190828-211353_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190828-211353_Gallery.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 23
The run is not covered? My first suspicion would be a bird of prey. My second would be a ground predator that climbed in. It's highly unusual for flock members to attack, kill and eat another one, even in tight quarters.

ETA - I realize that cannibalism can happen. I just have never seen it like that in my experience.

The run is not covered? My first suspicion would be a bird of prey. My second would be a ground predator that climbed in. It's highly unusual for flock members to attack, kill and eat another one, even in tight quarters.

ETA - I realize that cannibalism can happen. I just have never seen it like that in my experience.
That was my first thought as well, but would the other birds not have at least gotten injured, and would the prey not have taken its meal?

That was my first thought as well, but would the other birds not have at least gotten injured, and would the prey not have taken its meal?
Not necessarily. From my observations, they will only take one at a time, and usually eat it on the spot. A mink or weasel will kill several at once, leaving them where they kill them. Fox and coyotes will carry them off.

Back
Top Bottom