Sporadic Wry Neck?

EggieRowe

Songster
8 Years
Feb 8, 2011
Greenville, South Carolina
My Coop
My Coop
I have one hen, a Black Australorp, that previously had wry neck. (Head woukd twist upside down, walk backwards, etc.). After a few days of treatment with Poly-Vi-Sol and Vit E capsules, it was less pronounced and I returned her to the coop. Couple days later I couldn't distinguish her from the rest. Two days ago it started again and I believe its the same chicken - wish I had a band to mark it. I'm treating her again and thankfully its not as bad this time around - she only starts twisting up when startled instead of all the time. Both then and now she had no problems eating or drinking so culling didn't seem necessary. I don't think its contagious, the other 20 chickens are just fine. I think its getting picked on though. I brought her in to blow dry her and found a lot if her feathers are broken and stripped in places. No cuts or sores anywhere. (She must have had difficulty going up the stairs last night and got locked out of the coop. It was rainy and cold all night. ) I'm wondering if its mercy to keep nursing her back and returning her to the flock, or I'm being selfish or sentimental for not wanting to cull the weakest link?

As long as she's eating and drinking and not being abused by the others, why not 'baby' her a bit? If her quality of life is impacted, that's another story. Realistically, it's your bird/your choice.

Back
Top Bottom