Sportsman owners, how many eggs do you put in your hatcher tray????

McPhersonFarm

Songster
7 Years
Jan 18, 2013
Fort White, FL
I am moving some eggs into lockdown tomorrow, but I'm wondering if I have room. I have the 1502 with the hatcher tray. I was hatching in cartons. They aren't shipped eggs though, so can I fit more if I put them in just laying on their sides? Any advice appreciated as I plan on moving tomorrow AM they were due to be moved tonight but I have some quail hatching out right now!

42 eggs is a pretty comfortable fit in the hatching tray. I usually do 7 rows of 6 eggs. Sometimes though I fill the tray almost full and they still seem to make out OK. If you aren't doing staggered hatching you can just level the trays and turn off the turner and hatch them where they are. A lot of the chicks will bail out and fall to the floor of the incubator. Generally with no harm done. Of course this will entail a little more clean up afterward.

I have a sportsman as well, one of the big old ones, horrible design flaw for sure, lots of room to incubate, very little rroom to hatch. I made two seperate hatching boxes that i move the eggs into for lockdown.
Best of luck and yes, take them out of the cartons and lay them in the tray, they will be fine.
jumpy.gif

Yeah that's what I did. I have a LG but its a piece of )@*$$)#(@* and I really don't want to try and hatch in there even though I do have a few in there right now because I just didn't have room. I was going to hatch out in my hovabator which I'm more comfortable with, but then I had to go get emu eggs which have to be at 96 degrees which means I can't hatch in there while the emu eggs are in BLAAA too addicting. I need to cut myself off eggs for a couple of weeks let everything hatch and get more organized!

Back
Top Bottom