1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Spot in Egg..........Anyone ever see this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mtnhomechick, Aug 22, 2008.

1. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I just made scrambled eggs from yesterdays eggs. Two of the brown eggs from my new laying Red Stars had a spot right next to the yoke when I cracked them. The rest didn't. These could not be fertile eggs since I have only girls.

Anyone ever see this? Should I be concerned? My girls look like a picture of health but I didn't like what I saw. It smeared when I touched it and it looked brown or red. Any idea what this is about????????

Thanks

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    It sounds like a bit of sloughoff. It is just a glitch in egg making and is fine. You don't find it in store eggs because the candle and weed them out.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Not a problem. They are often called meat spots. It's not unusual and commercially end up in liquid eggs or bakery products instead in cartons.

4. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    It kind of looked like poo to me.........could that be a possibility? Mostly wondering since I've been selling some and giving some away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by